Home > Trip Reports > October 23, 2017, Baker area, Ptarmigin ridge

October 23, 2017, Baker area, Ptarmigin ridge

10/23/17
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by David_Britton on 10/23/17 12:28pm
It was nice to find 8" of re-frozen snow with 6" of water content at Heather Meadows. That made for a fast skin up and over Artist point and out close to Coleman Pinnacle. The south side of table had shed some major slides over the summer trail, which was nicely covered with a foot plus of snow. Not a lot of vert on this tour, but it sure is beautiful!
Were you able to tour (skin) from your car? Thanks. Always a great spot.

Any thoughts on the tracks? Martin?

yep. no problem skinning from car.

Black bear tracks.

author=David_Britton link=topic=38976.msg157441#msg157441 date=1508853061]
yep. no problem skinning from car.

Thanks for the TR.
Can you clarify which parking lot you started ?
WSDOT indicates that the road to Artist Point is closed since Oct 6th, so I'm assuming you started from the lower resort Parking lot, correct ?
If yes, you do confirm that you were able to skin from the resort parking lot ?
Thanks again!

author=Nico link=topic=38976.msg157457#msg157457 date=1508974870]
Thanks for the TR.
Can you clarify which parking lot you started ?
WSDOT indicates that the road to Artist Point is closed since Oct 6th, so I'm assuming you started from the lower resort Parking lot, correct ?
If yes, you do confirm that you were able to skin from the resort parking lot ?
Thanks again!

They would have skinned from the upper lot behind the snow control equipment. You can skin from the spot they block the road or one off the upper most Parking lot. It is beautiful in the table Mountain area, but has many hazards.  If you are new to that area I would recommend reaching out to

https://www.bakermountainguides.com/adventures/mount-baker-backcountry-skiing/

They have a detailed map of ascent and descent routes in that area specifically that you can purchase for $10. No I do not work there, but my buddies took a class from them and it is worth it. Best of luck

To the moderator. Thank you for the awesome trip report I plan on being out there in the next two weeks (snow permitting)and hopefully we see each other!

author=Mattman link=topic=38976.msg157458#msg157458 date=1508978540]
They have a detailed map of ascent and descent routes in that area specifically that you can purchase for $10. No I do not work there, but my buddies took a class from them and it is worth it. Best of luck

Thanks for info about the run list. I'll definitely get one. More from the website:

The Mount Baker Backcountry Ski Map retails for $10.00 and can be purchased at Backcountry Essentials, Yeager's Sporting Goods, Glacier Ski Shop, Feathered Friends, or Second Ascent.

author=Mattman link=topic=38976.msg157458#msg157458 date=1508978540]
It is beautiful in the table Mountain area, but has many hazards.  If you are new to that area I would recommend reaching out to

https://www.bakermountainguides.com/adventures/mount-baker-backcountry-skiing/

I can second that, great outfit. Doesn't look like Jere Burrell is with them anymore, but everyone I dealt with there was great. Having been my first time at Baker, my brother and I spent a day with Jere in March working the area of the Wells Creek drainage, off Ptarmigan down to Mazam Falls. Spectacular stuff. What was forecast for some light snow turned into a prettty significant event that saw us inside the ping pong ball from the time we skinned over Artist Point until we got over P ridge and into some trees, with snow continuing all day. Given the wind and conditions that were kicking up as we passed Bagley Lakes most people were turning back, but Jere knew the area like the back of his hand and we soldiered on, had an incredible day. His knowledge of the area, combined with his spot on read of the terrain and weather conditions, made all the difference. I got lazy at the end of last season and I'm only know trying to finish up a video of the day. I'll see if I can throw it up here when I'm done.

There is a new guidebook coming out in 2 weeks from Off Piste Ski Atlas for the Mt Baker Area, same format at the Snoqualmie Guidebook. The Book Release Party is @ Ascent Outdoors on November 15th and  you can pre-order the book online.
Party link here: https://www.facebook.com/events/362746427495774/permalink/364916377278779/

Pre-order:
https://ascentoutdoors.com/products/backcountry-skiing-mt-baker-washington
Everyone who attends the party will receive a caltopo map with all the runs with some bonus 542 tours.

Reply to this TR

october-23-2017-baker-area-ptarmigin-ridge
David_Britton
2017-10-23 19:28:24