telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/18/17, 02:10 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Personal Yardsale: gear FS or WTB, deals seen
| | |-+  SOLD BD Helio 105 185cm $400
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: SOLD BD Helio 105 185cm $400  (Read 586 times)
jaker
5Member

SOLD BD Helio 105 185cm $400
« on: 11/21/17, 05:51 PM »

Brand new, unmounted in minty condition. Can ship to ConUS, buyer pays! See my craigslist ad for more info. Coming from Boulder, CO.

Listed for $550 on CL but for TAY friends asking 400.

https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/6396361398.html
« Last Edit: 11/28/17, 04:36 PM by jaker » Logged
tele.skier

Re: FS: BD Helio 105 185cm $400 (new out of plastic)
« Reply #1 on: 11/23/17, 09:07 AM »

I'm curious why you are selling these.  I have the helio's predecessor, the carbon converts which had a little more tail rocker.  When the helio design replaced the carbon converts, I wished that I had waited for them since I preferred the flatter tail for a tele ski...   What did you replace them with? and why? 

the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile
jaker
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 11/23/17, 09:52 AM »

I'm curious why you are selling these.  I have the helio's predecessor, the carbon converts which had a little more tail rocker.  When the helio design replaced the carbon converts, I wished that I had waited for them since I preferred the flatter tail for a tele ski...   What did you replace them with? and why? 

Good question! I'm actually looking for a more lively, playful, fun ski that'll work better for skiing switch and other resort duties. I'm also moving away from the backcountry for the most part this season and while I loved my Helios during the times that I did ski them inbounds, I definitely wouldn't prefer them as a full-time thing.  The Helio has been a blast to ski on for sure, and I'd 100% keep them if I could but I'm just not in a financial position to drop money on another pair of skis without selling first. :-(
myikat

« Reply #3 on: 11/23/17, 01:51 PM »

Note that BD does not recommend the Helios be used as a tele ski.
Randy

« Reply #4 on: 11/23/17, 06:12 PM »

Note that BD does not recommend the Helios be used as a tele ski.

The lightweight construction likely lacks the extra reinforcement needed to prevent binding rip out when used (abused) by "knee to ski" tele skiers.  The extra reinforcement would add 50+ grams to each ski.  Not insignicant on a ski that weights 1500 grams.
Amar Andalkar

« Reply #5 on: 11/24/17, 12:39 PM »

I'm definitely interested in these, although sadly I haven't had a chance to demo them due to BD pulling the plug on their demos the 2nd day of Alpental Vertfest 2017. That's a really great deal at $400, but would be a bit of a risk for me to buy a ski I've never tested. I had demoed their predecessor the BD Carbon Convert at the 2014 Vertfest and thought those skied great in a variety of powder, frozen groomers, and weird crusty snow over 3 runs.

The Helio would be a direct replacement for my 2010 Dynafit Stoke (130-106-120, 182cm, 1660g), which at the time was among the lightest skis available in its width, and has gotten over 100 days of powder-only use over those 7 years, so it's still in very good shape. But the Helio 105 has those beat by a lot with a claimed weight of 1550g per ski. And they would almost certainly ski better than the Stoke (which skied well, but I never truly loved) based on everything I've read or heard about the Helio, including strong praise from 2 Rainier climbing rangers who were on them this year. (Mostly I tour year-round on the 182cm Dynafit Cho Oyu except in deep powder, easily the best ski-mountaineering ski I've ever used by a long shot -- enough to now have skied 3 pairs of them since 2014, with 3 more pairs waiting in the wings for the future.)

So I guess I should decide quickly if I want to replace the Stoke with the Helio, before someone else snaps these up.

But I'm curious about the strange logo on the left ski, I didn't recognize it. Just a little bit of sleuthing and the amazing Google Image Search reveals that it's Carabiner Coffee. Is it just a sticker that is easily removable?

* 00O0O_9xSk9iSxjoZ.jpg (42.75 KB, 600x800 - viewed 224 times.)

jaker
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 11/24/17, 04:59 PM »

I'm definitely interested in these, although sadly I haven't had a chance to demo them due to BD pulling the plug on their demos the 2nd day of Alpental Vertfest 2017. That's a really great deal at $400, but would be a bit of a risk for me to buy a ski I've never tested. I had demoed their predecessor the BD Carbon Convert at the 2014 Vertfest and thought those skied great in a variety of powder, frozen groomers, and weird crusty snow over 3 runs.

The Helio would be a direct replacement for my 2010 Dynafit Stoke (130-106-120, 182cm, 1660g), which at the time was among the lightest skis available in its width, and has gotten over 100 days of powder-only use over those 7 years, so it's still in very good shape. But the Helio 105 has those beat by a lot with a claimed weight of 1550g per ski. And they would almost certainly ski better than the Stoke (which skied well, but I never truly loved) based on everything I've read or heard about the Helio, including strong praise from 2 Rainier climbing rangers who were on them this year. (Mostly I tour year-round on the 182cm Dynafit Cho Oyu except in deep powder, easily the best ski-mountaineering ski I've ever used by a long shot -- enough to now have skied 3 pairs of them since 2014, with 3 more pairs waiting in the wings for the future.)

So I guess I should decide quickly if I want to replace the Stoke with the Helio, before someone else snaps these up.

But I'm curious about the strange logo on the left ski, I didn't recognize it. Just a little bit of sleuthing and the amazing Google Image Search reveals that it's Carabiner Coffee. Is it just a sticker that is easily removable?

Woah! I'd be very stoked to sell these to you! The overall feel I got out of the Helio was great. They were my first ultralight ski-mo type ski and I was thoroughly impressed by their ability to let me feel at ease on a whole range of snow conditions, even coming from a heavier resort-type setup. I even skied them at Stevens railing groomer laps for a spell and they were surprisingly stable, snappy and fun for a ski that weighs 1550g.

And yeah, its just a little vinyl sticker! I actually work for Carabiner and was very excited to throw the sticker on there before I came to the decision to sell (whoops) but I can absolutely take it off!
Andrew Carey

« Reply #7 on: 11/24/17, 07:51 PM »

And yeah, its just a little vinyl sticker! I actually work for Carabiner and was very excited to throw the sticker on there before I came to the decision to sell (whoops) but I can absolutely take it off!

Wow, Jaker, I sure would like one of those stickers to put on my Cho Oyus! :-)

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
joew
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 11/28/17, 08:52 AM »

Jaker,
Still available?  If so, very interested.
Joe
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.