Home > Trip Reports > October 9, 2017, - Mt Daniel approach

October 9, 2017, - Mt Daniel approach

10/9/17
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 10/9/17 1:40pm
Before I forget; the road is in fabulous shape. I calculated (because I do that) my average speed on the gravel road as 22mph.  The first 7 miles have been graded and graveled. Very nice. There is still smoke and smoldering material from the Jolly Mtn fire, right next to the road. I was pleased to find that the road was open. I suspect it would be easier for the USFS to keep it closed. I'm happy they didn't.

I planned to ski on the fresh snow on the Hyas Glacier above Peggy's Pond. One of my go-to late summer spots. I usually do 2 or 3 laps on this short mild slope and get around a thousand feet of skiing. This time, the new snow was enough that I could ski from Squaw Lake, and by the time I got to the pass at Cathedral Rock, I realized that I could get a thousand feet of skiing without even going around the corner. Also, I was nervous about traversing under Cathedral rock in this new snow. So I changed my plan, shortened my day, and turned around at the pass. I was able to ski all the way back to the trail split at the top of the switch backs. What a treat! Fresh snow, enough to keep me off the rocks, and home by 5pm. October is my TAY anniversary. This ski marks 7 years for me.

I slept in the parking lot. I've slept here before. It's a frosty valley bottom. So I rigged my mega-mid as a truck tent and it worked great. Can't believe I never thought of this before.

After morning coffee, my fuel canister became a fountain. This is a first for me. I think if I was out when this happened, I'd leave it screwed to the stove, but that would be pretty fragile to put in a pack. Since I was in a parking lot, it wasn't a big deal, except that now I know it's possible, and that bugs me.

I crossed a bear track just above Squaw Lake. My dog went nuts (glee-like) with the scent. I moved on to keep her from following the track and possibly disturbing the bear.

There were no people tracks above Squaw Lake, and it was a very nice tour in fresh snow.

Cutting the day short changed my attitude somehow. I spent a bit more time looking at the pretty things that I usually rush past. It was a great day.

Squaw Lake:

Squaw Lake:

Tuqualla Lake:

Nice one!  Is the infamous truck eating road bog also fixed?  It is usually near the end of the road, by the FS cabin. 

author=Good2Go link=topic=38917.msg157288#msg157288 date=1507665166]
Nice one!  Is the infamous truck eating road bog also fixed?  It is usually near the end of the road, by the FS cabin. 

Yes! Graded and graveled. The gravel road is no issue now.

Congrats Mike! Thanks for the great pictures, and report. Yippee winter is coming!

Nice TR again.  Mr. mikerolfs is "in the know on where to go".
Kudos on year 7.  It's an exciting ball and chain we drag around with us!

nice pics!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this TR

october-9-2017-mt-daniel-approach
mikerolfs
2017-10-09 20:40:50