Home > Trip Reports > September 10, 2017, Flett/Russell conditions

September 10, 2017, Flett/Russell conditions

9/10/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 9/11/17 12:54am
Didn't ski, opting instead to show a non-skier friend new vantages on the mountain, rewarding in its own way.

Photo shows the lowest elevation at which snow exists on the main Flett line. The creekbed snow finger that normally descends deep into Spray Park is long gone.

Extended skiing is possible on the Russell, but requires the comfort and experience necessary for glacial travel, as it is more open than I've ever seen it. Skier's left Flett routes are starting to break up, too. First time I've seen that happen.

Snow surface began to corn on northerly aspects at about 3pm. Microspikes worked great on our way up and down the refrozen snow. Choose slope angle/aspect carefully -- it's not worth trading the winter to come for a few extra turns on last year's leftovers.

We returned via Knapsack Pass, a loop I hadn't before linked. The easy ride for a skier is along the Spray Park trail, not over the pass.
author=Charlie Hagedorn link=topic=38847.msg157089#msg157089 date=1505145286]
Choose slope angle/aspect carefully -- it's not worth trading the winter to come for a few extra turns on last year's leftovers.

Thanks for the September report for this area! Also, I love the way you worded your note of caution, well said!

author=mosetick link=topic=38847.msg157102#msg157102 date=1505412286]
Thanks for the September report for this area! Also, I love the way you worded your note of caution, well said!

Thanks! Both of the scariest things I've witnessed/heard in a decade of backcountry skiing were in the search for too-frozen early-season turns.

Reply to this TR

september-10-2017-flett-russell-conditions
Charlie Hagedorn
2017-09-11 07:54:46