Home > Trip Reports > September 4, 2017, Bagley Lakes, below Table Mtn.

September 4, 2017, Bagley Lakes, below Table Mtn.

9/4/17
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by GregLange on 9/5/17 5:29am
There are few options for snow this time of year, and even fewer that have less than a half-mile walk to the ski-able terrain. One of these is Bagley Lakes, near the end of Highway 542. While it's about a 2.5 hour drive from my home, the ease with which to reach a nice patch of snow to farm can't be beat! Arrived at 6:45 AM, just in time for the sun to slowly make it's way into the beautiful basin that holds this gem of a lake. Looked off to the left and found what I term, "The Postage Stamp" waiting for turns. This 50-yard by 100-yard patch would mean a 10-minute walk from the car. But, a further look yielded about a 400 yard long snow tongue, with a 250 vertical drop, near the SW end of the lake. Being that THIS nugget was only about an extra 10-minute walk further, so I opted in! Just me, myself and I made the short trek skirting the lakefront, and then we were all on the snow together. Another 10 minutes, and I was to the top of my September ski run! Rough, like most snow this time of year. But my legs gladly absorbed the chatter, and month 239 was on the record. Get it while you can. The heat will soon have robbed this one!

I almost went there yesterday to bag exactly that patch of snow. I was going to go with my son, who is recovering from having his wisdom teeth out, but he was still in pain so we decided to put off September skiing for another week. Options right now are probably Heliotrope (if he can handle that hike), heading out along Ptarmigan Ridge and looking for snow, possibly around Goat Throat, or hitting your Postage Stamp.

I envy your postage stamp. I ski those in the summer too, but mine require a pretty good walk.

Reply to this TR

september-4-2017-bagley-lakes-below-table-mtn
GregLange
2017-09-05 12:29:13