Home > Forum > Delorme InReach ads

Delorme InReach ads

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
04 Sep 2017 08:13 #229898 by mikerolfs
Delorme InReach ads was created by mikerolfs
Since I can't ski today (see Colchuck Closed ), I'll go ahead and share something that has been bugging me about advertisements creating dumb behavior.

Delorme's InReach ads encourage hanging your emergency communication device on the outside of your pack. This seems risky to me. If you fall from a height, get caught in an avalanche, fall into a river, get mauled by a bear.. If you have any violent experience which might create a need to use the satellite texting device, wouldn't having it on the outside of your pack decrease the odds that you will still have an undamaged device to use? What about brushing past a tree and having it stripped from your shoulder strap?

The result of these ads: Recreationalists carrying the inReach like the ads show:

Recreational hiker:

Recreational hiker:

I carry a Delorme inReach satellite texting device. But I carry it deep in my pack where it can't accidentally fall out and where it is unlikely to get damaged. Its the kind of equipment that you carry all the time, and hope never to need. Like your first aid kit. It seems to me that if you carry something long enough on the outside of your pack, you'll damage or lose it. So don't mimic the ads. Stash your safety gear in a safe place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lordhedgie
  • [lordhedgie]
More
05 Sep 2017 08:26 #229903 by lordhedgie
Replied by lordhedgie on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads
Avy beacons should *always* be inside a layer of clothing, unless actively using it. Period.

But I'm okay with keeping generic communication/navigation devices outside, if they're used frequently, and not relied on as essential safety gear. For me, navigation equipment is always a backup - the primary is the fact that I've memorized the charts before leaving, and know the route in my head.

It's also notable that we tend to hike rougher trails, and descend harder/faster than your average hiker. Generally, if those guys drop their toy, they can reach down and pick it back up. We don't always have that luxury...

More
19 Sep 2017 15:24 #229929 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads
A lot of the motorsports crowd (adventure touring big bikes, dirtbikes, and snowmobiles) carry their devices this way because they are afraid of falling down, getting seperated from their bikes, and being able to reach their device when they can't move due to a broken femur or something. Preppers... ???

I guess it's semi-legit, it's easy to break a femur while launching over a handlebar.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Sep 2017 22:06 #229931 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads

Delorme's InReach ads encourage hanging your emergency communication device on the outside of your pack.

Beware of marketers! They think the device looks cooler that way, sort of like a talisman.

Much sexier than showing a hiker crouched over the thing trying to send an emergency message.

Yeah, keep it in your pack....

• Eric Lindahl
  • [ejlindahl]
More
15 Oct 2017 21:41 #230001 by Eric Lindahl
Replied by Eric Lindahl on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads
Its all about marketing. Like cool Nike or K2, etc, logos we wear. The more folks that see em on a passing hiker the more demand for the product.

"Gee honey whats on that guys pack strap?"

"Its satellite 911 for the mountains dear"

"Honey we need one of those"...........

BTW I do have one and think its a great idea but I rarely get around to activating it.

• ridngoofy
  • [ridngoofy]
More
19 Feb 2018 11:16 #231150 by ridngoofy
Replied by ridngoofy on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads
Mine stays off in the bottom of my pack. I use the Earthmate app and phone GPS for a simple breadcrumb should I need help getting back. The InReach works very well. I used it last year to call in SOS for a fallen climber on Mt Adams. Wildest day I've ever seen on Mt Adams but that's another story.

More
24 Feb 2018 11:54 #231199 by water
Replied by water on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads
ridngoofy,

PM or make TR, or random tracks post--would love to hear the story... adams is always a hoot.

• ridngoofy
  • [ridngoofy]
More
26 Feb 2018 13:02 #231220 by ridngoofy
Replied by ridngoofy on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads
My wife and I were out for our fav SW Chutes weekend when the strangest thing appeared above the Lunch Counter. Blue Ice! The entire Pikers peak approach was dust on blue ice and one could not determine that from a distance. We packed our skis and donned boot crampons. Above 11k' a single person came sliding by at high speed looked over at us and said "Help Me" while disappearing down Pikers South side. He came to rest above Lunch Counter and a group of 4 skiers close by approached him to help. We looked at one another and came to the same conclusion, "this sucks". So we started down toward the fallen climber. When we arrived the group of four had him settled down and determined he had suffered a broken arm. I was surprised it was only a broken arm because that was a nasty fall. One of the 4 used his InReach but wasn't getting response right away. So my wife and I donated an old down parka and skiied to Lunch Counter. There I also sent SOS using the InReach coupled with the Earthmate iphone app. Here's a url to the 4 skiers post. It seems they were successful with an SOS as well.

www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=38649.0

For the sake of this post , I was surprised how easily I was able to chat with SAR via InReach and Earthmate app.

• David_Lowry
  • [David_Lowry]
More
28 Feb 2018 18:00 #231246 by David_Lowry
Replied by David_Lowry on topic Re: Delorme InReach ads
I would wear it on the outside if I was using the tracking mode.