Home > Trip Reports > January 24, 2006, Top of Table Mtn

January 24, 2006, Top of Table Mtn

1/24/06
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by dberdinka on 1/25/06 6:34pm
I like putting the touring in AT, and my favorite short tour in the vicinity of Highway 542 must be a trip along the summit plateau of Table Mountain.  A quick approach followed by a short, steep climb leads to the other-worldly crest of the mountain.  This is followed by an exhilarating descent down a remote hanging valley and the steep, rolling, powder-choked terrain of it's north face.

My buddy Al and I took advantage of the sunny weather on Tuesday morning and left the upper parking lot of the Mt Baker Ski Area by 6:30 AM.  We headed for Artists Point reaching the flats just before sunrise.  

With our skis back on our feet we headed west, skinning along the surprisingly airy crest of the mountain.  The position and views are incredible.  

As the crest widened into a plateau we passed the first skiable terrain, a very steep roller know as "Little AK"

We made it back to the car in three hours and I was safely tucked into my cubicle by noon.  Joy!

1400 feet vert,  4 miles,  3+ hours
Verrrrrrrrrrrry nice.  Now there is a Baker TR!

Little Alaska is looking fine -- that is one steep mutha!

Nice!  I'm feeling drooly...

ahhhhhhhh - that is a beautiful sight...My favorite area in the entire Cascades... 8)

As one of the Paradise regulars ( with reference to the thread regarding the lack of Baker TR's), I would like to thank you for sharing your Baker TR. It was tremendous. ;D We love you maaan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has motivated me to just hunker down and do that 4 hr drive instead of the 2 hr drive and get me some Baker BC. :D

It has motivated me to just hunker down and do that 4 hr drive instead of the 2 hr drive and get me some Baker BC. :D

Whoops!  This is one of the Baker crews' reasons for not posting. ;)

I am also under a mildly enforced gag order after the masses of skiers we had show up last year to get decent skiing.  

When we get the freak, localized North Bend freezing levels that dump snow on Snoqualmie and leave everything else soggy and wet, we'll return the favor :)

Sweet photo, nice TR. After years of skiing around it, I finally got on top of Table last winter, and that plateau up there is quite cool.

Really nice photos from the plateau.  Thanks for sharing....Gregg, get over it and share a little more with us Seattle folk  :)

Remember - Seattle folk are just future Bellinghammers in denial =8-O

Reply to this TR

january-24-2006-top-of-table-mtn
dberdinka
2006-01-26 02:34:23