telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
09/22/17, 01:15 AM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Personal Yardsale: gear FS or WTB, deals seen
| | |-+  WTB: Telemark bindings and skis
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: WTB: Telemark bindings and skis  (Read 552 times)
astrov
5Member

WTB: Telemark bindings and skis
« on: 08/30/17, 08:02 AM »

Wanted to buy telemark bindings. Black Diamond 01 or 02. (touring mode, or not.)

Also wanted to buy: telemark skis. 180cm+ (I am larger dude.) Is the recommendation to go with shorter skis than you would downhill / AT?
river59
5Member

Re: WTB: Telemark bindings and skis
« Reply #1 on: 08/30/17, 10:49 PM »

I am guessing that you are new to tele. If not, ignore my suggestions.

I have skied most of the tele binders out there and imho, BDs are some of my least favorite. Mostly because they lack the lateral control of other better binders (bishop bombers, 22 designs, hell even switchbacks are better). The spring cartrdges self loosen during use leading to unintended releases and more sloppiness. Also, the pre 2011? four hole toe mounting pattern is subpar.

Binders with six toe screws are bomber, especially for larger skiers on big skis. There are better bear traps out there.

I suggest you look for 22designs binders - axls for touring, old hammerheads for downhill (used = cheap), vice for downhill (if you want brand new). Adjusible pivot points, 6 hole toe mount, super durable, active feeling flex, awesome customer service... After skiing most of the others out there, if I am skiing tele it is on 22D gear (unless its a leather boot/3 pin type of day).

That being said, I have some G3 targas and Voile hardwire CRBs collecting dust that I could let go for cheap - but I wouldnt recommend either of them.

As far as skis go, just buy what you would normally ski. If you are learning to tele, you are going to cross your tips.
tele.skier

« Reply #2 on: 08/31/17, 12:26 PM »

There's a wide range of choice in tele gear.  Much of your choices are dictated by your skill set and the terrain you plan to travel.

if you want some real help with your gear choices, you need to fill in the blanks...   

the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile
astrov
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 09/01/17, 02:21 PM »

thanks. I should have said that Black Diamond's 01+02 were both possibilities - along with others.

I have a lead on a set of 22DesignsAxls in another town. I am motivated to pick those up as the large size isn't even in stock right now. I appreciate the recommendation. Burliness is a big factor for me as I'm rough on gear.

Regarding my overall needs -

- brand new to tele. Reasonably experienced downhill & AT skier.
- intend to do some light backcountry touring on these. By light, I mean day trips in backcountry, but not steep terrain.
- If I had to choose, I would say I prefer carving (camber) to floating on top of snow on skis with rockered tips. But what ever is easier to learn tele on will dictate this set of skis.

I appreciate anyone's constructive guidance, especially there are a lot of people asking on the internet for tele gear selection advice ...
tele.skier

« Reply #4 on: 09/01/17, 07:34 PM »

Ok,... first, if you plan on touring, get a touring binding.  02's are not touring bindings. The 01's are touring bindings.  01's are good when they are new, but people who really pound on them complain that they eventually have a sloppy feel to them from wear.  If you buy a used pair of 01's check the hinge for sloppiness.

Those 22d axles you mentioned are the definition of burly bindings and they have a free pivot mode for touring. They are powerful bindings.  As a beginner, they would help you learn faster because the binding leverage helps pressure your skis so they react more quickly to your input.  They sound like a good choice for a larger skier.  If they're reasonably priced, grab them.

Personally, I ski the NTN system, but duckbill systems work well too. It's just a matter of personal preferences.

I would say that just like alpine skiing, the most important thing is comfortable, well fitted boots. If your boots are comfortable, then you concentrate on terrain and technique. If your boots aren't right, that's one extra annoying thing to deal with.  What kind of boots do you have?

As far as ski choices go, it's similar to alpine skis.  There's no one ski that always the best ski every day, but as far as chosing a first tele ski goes.  IF you chose a challenging ski (length wise) you'll progress slower, because they take more effort to control, but the ski will feel correctly sized for a longer time as your skill level increases.  If you go with a slightly shorter than your normal comfort length ski, you'll be less challenged to make them work, so you'll develop your skill set with less effort, but you'll outgrow those shorter skis more quickly, which is not always the worst thing. (to have a less challenging pair of skis)

There are other variables too that you probably know about.  If you're skiing trees or steeps the shorter skis turn more with less effort...  Softer skis flex easier, so they can flex with less effort, but they also don't hold an edge on hard snow as well, especially if you're a heavy person... so there's a relativity there that you have to chose related to stiffness.

Much of the same factors as chosing an alpine ski.. right?

*As a beginning tele skier, 180 is plenty long enough for a big guy. go for a medium flex.  If you're touring, you expect to ski more softer snow, so at least 105 underfoot.  Rockered tip only skis for beginning tele-skier . (you'll get a rudder effect from the flatter tailed ski which will help keep the skis from feeling squirrelly underfoot.)

... good luck!  any questions?  Cool  ask 'em!

the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile
astrov
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 09/03/17, 09:17 AM »

Thanks a bunch! I'll PM you - (unless people want to read this thread).

I bought some 30.5 Scarpa T2Ecos. New Old stock.

brigitpaige_a
1Member

« Reply #6 on: 09/04/17, 08:16 AM »

I have some voile switchbacks that I can part with if you're still looking for some bindings! Also have a pair of rottefella freedoms but looks like you got some duckbill boots?
astrov
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 09/04/17, 07:18 PM »

yeah, duckbill. Thanks!
Yoyo
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 09/05/17, 07:14 PM »

I have some voile switchbacks that I can part with if you're still looking for some bindings! Also have a pair of rottefella freedoms but looks like you got some duckbill boots?

If the OP doesn't want these, and they are 'regular' or 'Womens' and not 'X2', PM me. I could use a second pair. Which could be read as 'happy switchback user' in case that influences the OP's decisions.
OriginalCim
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 09/06/17, 04:02 PM »

astrov/Yoyo,
I have a set of Voile Switchbacks in good shape collecting dust in the garage.  Standard length, standard strength (not X2).  Available with or without some beatup G3 Reverend (171) and purple BD Ascension skins.  PM me if interested.
astrov
5Member

« Reply #10 on: 09/08/17, 09:32 AM »

OriginalCim - thanks. I sent brigitpaige a PM to see if s/he and I could work out a deal. If not, I might ping you.
crustos
5Member

« Reply #11 on: 09/12/17, 09:23 AM »

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=38454.0

How about K2 Annex (Backcountry Mag's editors pick a couple years ago)?

Skins included. Already drilled for Axls, if you can get your hands on some.

astrov
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 09/12/17, 03:09 PM »

Looks like my Axl connection might fall through. If it doesn't, I will consider these K2s. Thanks.
flyingmonkey
5Member

« Reply #13 on: 09/13/17, 09:35 AM »

A little late to the party here. I have a pair of BD Stigma's 182cm, Mounted with BD O1 Telemark Bindings (also have extra cartridges of different strengths). Everything is used but in good shape. Also have pair of older skins cut to fit. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get some pics for you.
astrov
5Member

« Reply #14 on: 09/19/17, 06:57 PM »

Thanks to those who replied. I bought a set of Voile Switchback x2s and Kharu Guide (or Madshus?) XCD skis from brigit paige. I am really stoked to try them. I might get a different set of skis for my daily drivers / resort skis but I think I'm set for now.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.