Home > Trip Reports > August 26, 2017, Flett Glacier Ski, Russel Photos

August 26, 2017, Flett Glacier Ski, Russel Photos

8/26/17
Posted by Brian_Richter on 8/28/17 12:03pm
Hiked up to the Flett via Knapsack Pass on Saturday. Went up to the shoulder of Echo Rock so I could get a good look at the Russel, but did not have time (or a partner) to continue up. Skied a few hundred vertical on NE shoulder of Observation Rock before carrying over to the Flett below the headwall. Skied a total of about 1000' vertical. Snow was not really sun-cupped, but was fairly firm with little ridges. It would have skied nicer if it was a bit softer. Hiked out on the Spray Park trail. The Russel Glacier looked quite smooth. Photos and more on the hike here: https://ontherichterscale.wordpress.com/2017/08/28/knapsack-passflett-glacierspray-park-loop/
Great report! Super photos and really nice writing with lots of useful information. I've been wanting to head this way for a long time. Just wondering- what type of shoes did you wear for the approach? Great to know there is still some smooth-ish snow out there.

Nice report! Brings back some nice memories.
We hiked to Panhandle gap on Sunday. Some snow still there for some short length turns and foolin around.

I've been looking at the Flett from work the last few days. Now I'll have to go check it out. Thanks!

Just realized that I didn't have notifications coming to my email so just saw your replies. Thanks for reading! and I wore low-top hiking shoes for the approach, Mr_Burns.

Reply to this TR

august-26-2017-flett-glacier-ski-russel-photos
Brian_Richter
2017-08-28 19:03:54