Home > Trip Reports > August 20, 2017, Rainier, Camp Muir Penitentes

August 20, 2017, Rainier, Camp Muir Penitentes

8/20/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kciari on 8/25/17 1:12am
For month 70 of TAY, I convinced my non-skiing friend Jason to accompany me up to Muir. We never intended to go all the way, but cruised up to camp in 3:40 and made it down in an hour and a half. Snow is to the standard spot just above Pebble Creek, and is smooth until about 8k where it gets downright nasty. If you are just going for turns I'd recommend cruising up to about 8,500 max and going down from there.

Above 8k, I'd described the skiing on my blog. "I'm not going to sugar coat this for you: the skiing was horrific. From 10,000' at Camp Muir down to about 8,000', the skiing was a VW Beetle sized shit-show. With huge, sharp penitentes and deep, slugbug sized holes, it was like trying to ski down an angry, frozen ocean of terror."

More photos and full trip report
I've been very impressed with the speed and efficiency of the road work this year; the new road looks great; can't wait to bicycle it!

Congrats on 70 TAY!  I hit 70 the same time and much different experience.  All about the aspect.  Paradise Gl. mostly corn and fun, and all alone. 

Reply to this TR

august-20-2017-rainier-camp-muir-penitentes
kciari
2017-08-25 08:12:24