Home > Trip Reports > August 11, 2017, RMNP, Colorado

August 11, 2017, RMNP, Colorado

8/11/17
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 8/13/17 12:14pm
August 11, 2017
RMNP
Day 67

There are a couple easy to access August turns in RMNP, but the ones right off the Old Fall River Road might very well be the easiest.  If you know where to go, decent skiing can be had as far as you could throw a dead cat.  Not that you€™d want to throw a dead cat. But you could if you wanted to.

Wayne and I walked up the short rocky stretch next to the snowfield and pretended the rock gate leading to the top was the fabled Silbersattel on the way to the summit of Nanga Parbat, the easy stroll on the far other side of the extreme spectrum that Herman Buhl faced, and after 10 minutes we were on top strapping on the boards.  And we didn€™t even have to bivouac.

Our families were waiting on the rock outcrop below, and with a bellow of delight, due to the excellent acoustics, my voice reverberated around the basin, sure to be heard by our little cheering section.  Interestingly, Wayne and I were likewise saluted with a cheer from our group on the rock outcrop and then also from all the hikers on the trail up to the 12,000€™ point across from us, as well as all the tourists and gawkers stopped on the road below.  It was a little like a three ring circus, and we were the Flying Burrito Brothers€¦ah, certainly we needed to enjoy this before it was outlawed.  This much fun couldn€™t be let continue for long. 

Wayne went first and stopped at the rollover, two turns in and he had the board dialed, the many days of surfing in Southern California keeping his alpine head even so far from the mountains.

I dropped in next and high-fived Wayne as I went by, cutting a series of very pleasant turns down the smooth-esque deteriorating summer corn.  When the exposure changed, I cut a left across the slope, and continued the turns down the choicest snow along the far left edge, pulling up on the rocks at the bottom.  Wayne followed suite and the joy on his faced told the emotions better than a volume of War and Peace, obviously happy to be back in the saddle after a long hiatus.  The winter in So Cal was good this year, but he was many hours from Summer turns.  And strolling the hundred yards back to our waiting loves, well, these were the memories that warmed the soul.
Sweet patch, go Wayne!

Hell yeah!!! You guys are awesome!!!  AUGUST!!!!

Reply to this TR

august-11-2017-rmnp-colorado
MW88888888
2017-08-13 19:14:07