telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/17/17, 08:00 AM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Streak over at 105 months :(
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Streak over at 105 months :(  (Read 1784 times)
WhiteyWhite

Streak over at 105 months :(
« on: 08/04/17, 07:27 PM »

And just like that it's over. 105 months.

Truck was in the shop, it's too crowded at the park, it's was too hot, it was too smokey, it's climbing season, relationship problems, it's too hard to do in Montana...I could go on with excuses. But really, the root of all of it, is simple motivation. Driving back into the states from BC, I crossed the border and realized it was July 31st and I hadn't skied yet. Coming off a high from BC granite, quickly turned into sadness and I felt uneasy. I had been skiing every month for almost 9 years! And just like that, it was over. Should I drive to the park and sneak in some midnight moonlight turns? I didn't.

Sometimes summer skiing is painful. I'd rather be climbing on those days that I'm barely getting any vert in or skiing massive suncups. But it's Type 2 fun. It always felt good driving home knowing that the streak lives on. I was never really sure how long I wanted it to last. I just knew that I had a hell of a thing going, and it was something I was very proud of. People who I hadn't seen in years would ask, "You still skiing every month?". And it felt good to say yes! Now I will have to answer, no. But that's okay! (At least I'm telling myself that it's okay) It was an incredible journey, and I'm grateful for every single turn.

To all of you that are still going strong. keep at it! If you want to. If you aren't motivated to go skiing, then don't go skiing. Simple as that. My motivation was in climbing, and that felt really good. I was doing what made me happy. So for all of you that are still streaking, my hat's off to you. Keep inspiring people. Keep posting. Keep streaking. Love it while you got it. The rest of us will skip July-Sept and see you once the snow falls.

I love this community. Thanks for inspiring me!

(Also selling some LINE Sick Day 95 for wicked cheap if you're interested Grin)
Zap

Re: Streak over at 105 months :(
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/17, 07:36 PM »

Wink
shred

« Reply #2 on: 08/05/17, 12:59 PM »

Sorry for your miss fortunes.
I must confess. I too left behind my streak many moons ago. Now I am a closet TAYer, lurking here as much as possible to find the best ski conditions. Shhh. Mum is the word.
I envy those TAYers though. With their dedication, sheer will power, and morphed knee cartilage.

Me? I am now a "Turns When Good All Year"(TWGAY for short), member. The group is always excepting new members and the recruitment qualifications are way more relaxed. No more stress come Sept./Oct.

Remember: Acknowledgment is the first step to recovery.
Good Luck.
Andrew Carey

« Reply #3 on: 08/05/17, 01:28 PM »

I quit after 104 months (-1 [stuck in Mexico & Belize]).  FWIW, as one of the earliest members of TAY, once you've down 60 months straight you are a member for life LOL  I peaked my backountry earn-your-turns skiing at 120 days one year (I know, can't compare to Amar, Jeff, Carl, Tara, etc. etc.) and I think the number of good bc days over 75 is better than yet another year of 1x/month :-)  Anyway, I got 80 bc earned- turns days/season as I completed my 70th year this July--could've gotten more but why ski really bad snow or really bad weather.  But one should have done a few years of skiing every month (legitimately, not lift-served, or SA) to be called a TAY person,  IMHO which doesn't have any meaning at all!

... want your own private skintrack? Better move to the yukon dude. (B'ham Allen, 2011).
...USA: government of the people by corporate proxies for business.

Andy Carey, Nisqually Park, 3500 feet below Paradise
Charlie Hagedorn

« Reply #4 on: 08/05/17, 03:22 PM »

Congratulations on a long streak!

It's fun when it's fun. Streak again when it calls you, stop when it doesn't.

Norseman

« Reply #5 on: 08/06/17, 08:52 PM »

No worries on losing the streak, man. There's a lot of fun shit to do out there! I think the TAYers only tolerate Sept/Oct because they haven't yet discovered mountain biking. Or alpine climbing. Or bowhunting.

shred, I've been in your club for a few years. TWGAYers unite!
« Last Edit: 08/06/17, 08:56 PM by Norseman » Logged
Scottk

« Reply #6 on: 08/07/17, 10:41 AM »

I joined the TWGAYers about 5 years ago.  Haven't looked back.
pipedream

« Reply #7 on: 08/07/17, 01:37 PM »

I made it into my 40s (consecutive months, not years Grin ) before abandoning my streak.

I just couldn't justify having to carry my split on my back downhill in May. But I made up for it that year by doing "Tents All Year" - I slept in a tent in the woods at least one night every month of 2015 incl. NYE in a blizzard on the Snow Lake Divide. When it all comes down to having fun in your spare time, you might as well make the most of it... sometimes that means taking your skis because you're going anyway Cheesy

Moral of story is don't ski when you can snowboard
mosetick
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: 08/07/17, 05:50 PM »

106 - 1 Looks like a great track record to me! Congrats to you and keep your spirits up! I agree that you should always do what is making you the happiest in the mountains.

I'm working on 120 - 4 this month, but have not decided where I'm headed yet.
Chamois

« Reply #9 on: 08/08/17, 02:27 PM »

I just dipped my toe in for 24 months.  I just found my self thinking - "Ya know, this hike would be a lot more pleasant without the skis on my back". 

Too little time to do everything and shitty skiing just begged the question.  Climb, hike, mt bike seemed more attractive alternatives.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.