Home > Trip Reports > August 1, 2017, ONP Moose Peak

August 1, 2017, ONP Moose Peak

8/1/17
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 8/3/17 11:46am
Having explored this area only three days before, I got another early start from Silverdale and headed out the ridge south from the Grand Pass trail. "Moose 6753" is on the Custom Correct series but not listed in the Olympics climber's guide. 
From a low point in the ridge I scrambled down to a shoe drop and a nice soft boot up a curving snow tongue that snaked down the edge of Moose's NE face.  The summit was quite flat with amazing views into the heart of the Olys.  Anderson glacier, Olympus, Carrie   8) 
The 600' slope was soft with 3-4" penetration and a few craters from pebble meltouts.  There is an hourglass that had rocks appearing and will probably be gone in another week.  I took a second lap and scooted in the afternoon heat.  There were only two or three patches of shade all day!  On the walk back I saw the BC fire smoke creep across the Sound like a killer smog; such a contrast between the bluebird day of Saturday and the enveloping haze.
The 29th and the 1st marked 118 and 119 months of TAY for me---ten years coming up!
10 years deserves a party!

Nice Mack,
We were there on 7/31/17,  no skis, just heavy backpacks, headed out on a multi-day ramble through the Olympics. Congratulations on your string, hope it continues for many more years. We met a fellow who has climbed with you in the past during our rambles, PM  me for more info.

Looked like this on 8/7! Pretty smokey in the morning followed by partial clearing. This run won't last much longer!

Nice job Mack! Lets do something in September together and I'll help you celebrate!
Don

Reply to this TR

august-1-2017-onp-moose-peak
telemack
2017-08-03 18:46:30