Home > Trip Reports > August 2, 2017, Paradise

August 2, 2017, Paradise

8/2/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 8/2/17 11:00am
Skinnable (tho we walked the "ice caves" trail half a mile further instead) from Skyline trail Paradise river crossing just past Sluskins memorial chair. Smooth buttery mini cup skiing from 8400'. Above there were raised tracks and bigger sun cups.
August 6. Thanks for the details, Silas! With my great ski bum buddy Chuck and son Sean (2nd time ever on AT gear.), followed your path except skinned from end of dirt trail up to bench below Anvil Rock. Snow a tad sticky at 11 AM descent, but it's freakin' August! A great 2400 of vert, and a gorgeous way to return from my recent trip to central Japan. Month 238 in the books...

Central japan? Id be interested in that! Pm me if you like to share notes.
Good paradise update too thanks.

August 7, they had the loop road closed so no parking at 4th Crossing. Slow traffic due to paving on the front side and work on the sidewalks of Nisqually Bridge. Parked at Visitors Center with the hordes and walked the regular Muir trail to 7200. Decent skiing, but the air was horrible.

author=gregL link=topic=38770.msg156945#msg156945 date=1502202722]
August 7, they had the loop road closed so no parking at 4th Crossing. Slow traffic due to paving on the front side and work on the sidewalks of Nisqually Bridge. Parked at Visitors Center with the hordes and walked the regular Muir trail to 7200. Decent skiing, but the air was horrible.

Yes, they said they would be closing the Paradise Valley Road to repair winter damage to the bridge over Edith Creek; the smoke can be bad, I have a sore throat and headache to prove it.

Reply to this TR

august-2-2017-paradise
silaswild
2017-08-02 18:00:47