Home > Forum > SUV roofs: ski racks and moon-roof compatibility?

SUV roofs: ski racks and moon-roof compatibility?

• CascadeSkier
  • [CascadeSkier]
More
26 Jul 2017 15:51 #229858 by CascadeSkier
I welcome all comments as I gear up to purchase a new SUV.  Of specific concern is the compatibility, or lack thereof, of roof-mounted ski racks and moon- roofs.  What comes to mind for concern:

- when 6 pairs of skis are loaded up top and speeds of 60-70 MPH are reached, it seems to me that the torsional strength of a roof with a window will be compromised (as a local Ford parts guy told me)

- when the moon-roof window is opened by flipping up a couple of inches, it will smack into either the crossbar (such as what happens if you drive a 2016 Lexus RX) or the mounting boot of a crossbar-mounted ski rack.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toddball
  • [toddball]
More
26 Jul 2017 16:52 #229859 by toddball
I have a 2004 Volvo XC70, which is not an SUV, but it has a moon roof and I have used several rack things on it.  I also have experience with a 2015 (or 16?) Subaru Outback. I guess these are both wagons, not SUVs.

There's loads of clearance between my open moon roof and round Yakima bars, and there's still plenty of clearance when I have a bike rack, ski rack or roof box (Thule Summit) on the bars.  However, the clamps that attach the Yakima bars to the Volvo roof rails add a bit of height here, which helps clearance issues.

My parents have the '15 Outback, which has aero bars that are built into the roof rails.  I can't remember how much clearance there is between the moon roof and the bars, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't whack into skis or the ski rack when it opens.

One time we were driving up I-215 with 5 pairs of skis on the rack in pretty strong winds, and the rack blew up.  That is to say, the front rack opened, the skis were blown upwards, and the top part of the rear rack was ripped off.  In summary, I'd be more worried about the structural integrity of the rack than the roof.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
27 Jul 2017 08:15 #229860 by Chuck C
I've got a 4Runner with Yakima towers/bars and fat cat 4s. Never had an issue with the moonroof opening. Except when I opened it all the way and the snow falls off the binding onto me. Simple solution was to move the rack to the other side. Now my daughter gets hit.

• lordhedgie
  • [lordhedgie]
More
14 Aug 2017 16:38 #229878 by lordhedgie
My 2010 Outback has integrated aero bars, and they clear the moonroof. Never put skis up there, though. I've traveled with other things on the roof and never had a problem.

More
20 Sep 2017 11:22 #229933 by gravyb
You could get a new car with no moon roof. I like a solid roof that blocks the sun and helps me see better. Dealerships would refer to a sun/moon roof as an upgrade but I view it as the opposite.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
20 Sep 2017 12:39 - 20 Sep 2017 12:47 #229934 by Randito
My 2013 Honda CRV has a factory sun roof that retracts into the roof and has a sunshade -- I have the factory roof racks as well.   I've placed a big "rocket box" on the factory roof rack and loaded it with skis, boots and packs for five people headed out on a 5 day hut trip -- no issues with the sun roof.

Do manfacturers even make "moon roofs" that "flip up" any more -- or is that purely an aftermarket thing?

My mom's 1982 Corolla had one of those -- and leakage was an issue -- at least after the car was 20+ years old.

I will say the the driving with the open sunroof is noisier than I hoped. I do find that leaving it partially open while the car is parked in the summer sun makes a huge difference in how "oven like" the car is when I return.