Home > Trip Reports > July 24, 2017, Glacier Peak

July 24, 2017, Glacier Peak

7/24/17
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by zigz on 7/25/17 4:43pm
Left TH at 11 pm. Gained white pass quickly and attempted to drop in to basin but " />was unable to find a safe descent in the dark. Although, if you hug white mountain on approach it looks like the snow goes. Anyhow, after  gaining the white pass ridge two times between 3am and 5am (added 1,000 vert to my trip) I finally defaulted to summer route which I wasn't familiar with.

I was able to skin after the pass with a few transitions and chose to boot pack the ridge and summit approach after glacier gap. Made the summit around 11 AM losing 2.5 hrs route finding on white mountain ridge along with some morale.

I was planning to meet some buddies on a multiday mountaineering mission and caught up with them about 500' from the summit which was rad.

I skied about 20' from the summit where a thin patch of snow still lies that opens up into a snowfield that will last a few more weeks. I was able to ski all the way to the flats with three or so quick transitions. It still goes as it would in early spring through the basin. All said and done I logged 12,500 vert on the day.. Camped with the friends at PCT junction which is 8.2 miles from TH.

Slopes were in great conditions. Minor suncups throughout but soft enough to charge. Skinning back to the ridge once in basin was quick! Maybe had three quick boot packs required transitions.

I'd recommend GP for a few more weeks with the skis! Why not?
author=zigz link=topic=38760.msg156842#msg156842 date=1501055020]
I'd recommend GP for a few more weeks with the skis! Why not?

Here's a recommendation: Leave your damn drone at home! As a pilot I take particular offense to ILLEGAL drone flying. Sheesh. (I guess this is more evidence of the "entitlement society," aka 'rules don't apply to me.'"

OR?

If I had hiked that far to get to Glacier peak, I'd be all that much more pissed to have drone buzzing around.

Sorry to offend anyone. Sharing the beauty of the mountains with friends and family...

Wasn't 100% clear on drone regulations and still am not. Feel free to send a link where I can find more information on regulations. I'll take a look also.

Rest assured, other parties were well off mountain, but if it's illegal then that doesn't mater.

Thanks for the information.

author=zigz link=topic=38760.msg156858#msg156858 date=1501177296]

Wasn't 100% clear on drone regulations and still am not. Feel free to send a link where I can find more information on regulations.

Thanks for your response -
The regulations are clear and simple: NO FLYING DRONES IN WILDERNESS AREAS, PERIOD. That includes the drone footage you shot illegally on Mt. Shasta. it is your responsibility to know if you are in wilderness areas or not, and ignorace has NEVER been a defense to breaking the law. I would personally consider removing those videos from your Instagram feed unless you want to face potential prosecution as you've posted the evidence the Feds would use against you! 

Sadly, drone use has become a major issue with wildland firefighting and has prevented aerial responses in far too many cases, and yes, there have been successful prosecutions of this as well.

Whether or not you think "other parties were well off the mountain" is besides the point. It's illegal and you are ruining other peoples' wilderness experience- just because you don't see anyone doesn't mean they're not there, and it doesn't mean they can't hear the terrible "whirring" noise these things put out - it's just as bad as the damn snowmobiliers on St. Helens and Baker, and it's just as bad as people blaring music out on the trail (heard of headphones?!?)

There's a link to the Drone regulations per USFS in an earlier reply.

author=KLW link=topic=38760.msg156864#msg156864 date=1501216834]
Fortunately, the beauty of the mountains exists for more than just your friends and family. I clearly posted a link to the regulations put out by the forest service in my initial reply that you obviously did not read. This issue has been brought up many times and your pleas of ignorance ring pretty hollow. Unless you've been living under a rock you are aware that drones aren't allowed in wilderness. As stated, ignorance is not an excuse.

Don't worry about taking your videos down. I'd be willing to bet that someone forwarded a link to your instagram account  over to the FS this morning when they first saw your video.  I'm sure that someone also already saved a copy of both your GP and Shasta videos as well, just in case the FAA and the FS didn't have time to check them out before they're deleted.

Good luck.

KLW,

Cyber bullying on turns all year? Classy...

You were being so altruistic your first go. Glad you went again.

I found some facts on your personality you should be aware of:
http://cyberbully.org/the-mind-behind-the-bully-the-psychology-of-bullying/

Thanks for your latest feedback... i understand who you are and how you feel.

author=KLW link=topic=38760.msg156864#msg156864 date=1501216834]
Fortunately, the beauty of the mountains exists for more than just your friends and family.

... I'm just thinking of the Wilderness here...nothing really to do with Drones... I don't think many people stop and think that the "Designated Wilderness" is almost exclusively accessed by able bodied, fit, young(er), people only. The disabled, elderly, unfit, etc don't get a chance to see these beautiful places... What more of an exclusive, elitist club exists???!!! "The Wilderness Entitled"... just thinking out loud.

I think about that quite a bit Pinch. It does feel exclusive at times. Of course there are lots of non human things out there that call it home regardless of our designation.

True that, RonL, Thanks.

Sorry Zig, thanks for allowing the TR to remain, good education on drone usage for folks.

I don't think of wilderness areas as for "human elitist", but as a way to help protect some areas (perhaps far too few?) from the obvious abuse of humans.  When we try and provide access to all, what truly constitutes disenfranchisement?  It's a slippery slope, isn't it.  Better to leave it unspoiled - if we can.

Those elk, moose, marmots, bears, and all kinds of fauna and flora - they are all such snobs!  I'm sure they would appreciate a Starbucks and a drive through Mickey D's, just like everywhere else that human kind touches and "improves".  ;-)

Oh, and also slightly off topic, but perhaps relevant in this tech-centric TR.  I use my open stereo out on the trail instead of ear buds quite a bit for a couple reasons, depending on the place/time, but only really turn it up around dogs and New Yorkers....(also said with a smile, trying to put a little levity in this thread!)

Thanks for the thoughts MW88888. My work involves interacting with the disabled, diseased, and dying. So I was just thinking of one of the human perspectives. 
Your idea of a Starbucks in the middle of nowhere is intriguing! :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs4mtbTsaL4
Thanks for the TR ZigZ, looking to attempt Glacier Peak, just as a hike, this Fall to close in on the volcano quest i started WAAY to long ago...

Forget drones, mw8 is now public enemy one with his boom box! We need those bolt cutter guys back for comment. I also object to people who bathe before entering wilderness areas. As I return from a tour nearing a trailhead I am attacked by other citizens soap smells!

I like good rum and ginger beer with ice and lime in the summer time.

Reply to this TR

july-24-2017-glacier-peak
zigz
2017-07-25 23:43:40