Home > Forum > Q: simplest way to put photos on internet for TR

Q: simplest way to put photos on internet for TR

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
05 Jul 2017 11:48 - 24 Oct 2017 23:29 #229819 by Jake the Brit
I don't have an internet photo service right now. Is there an easy way to upload them somewhere (doesn't matter where) to link into TR? Like Cascade climbers has a gallery?
Lot's of TR's not happening with photos, mine included, which is a shame.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
05 Jul 2017 12:19 #229820 by pipedream
I use imgur.com

They have a quality mobile app as well as a simple web interface. No account required

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
05 Jul 2017 13:00 #229821 by mikerolfs

I use imgur.com

They have a quality mobile app as well as a simple web interface. No account required

I'll have to try imgur. I've been using photobucket, but the functionality of that site has gotten horrible. I tried using google photos, but I couldn't figure out how.

More
06 Jul 2017 06:25 #229825 by jtack
I use to use Picasa, but it became gobbled up by Google, it may still exist but I'm not sure. I now use Google but it is clunky process, that I really do not like. I have noticed people not adding pictures, I suspect it is because it is such a pain to accomplish. I would love to hear about a better mousetrap, as well. I will try imgru.

More
07 Jul 2017 16:17 #229827 by dahu
Indeed not posting pictures anymore as cannot upload from computer directly and TAY requires the image to be on the web already.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
09 Jul 2017 07:03 #229833 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Q: simpest way to put photos on internet for TR
Tapatalk would be an ez solution.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
09 Jul 2017 13:49 #229834 by mikerolfs
I just gave imgur a try.

Piece of cake! I recommend it.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
10 Jul 2017 00:04 #229835 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Q: simpest way to put photos on internet for TR
Looks like the July TR section doesn't have photo upload enabled. I think this happens at the turn of some months if a mod hasn't ticked a box to enable it.

Mosetick -- can we script/cron this so it doesn't happen again?

Thanks!

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
10 Jul 2017 08:19 #229836 by kamtron
I wrote a script that automatically resizes and compresses photos to be within the TAY limits. It also adds a random string to the name to avoid name collisions. It's in an old post of mine that you can either search for or I can reupload. It should be easy for the webadmin to be able to use this to allow TAY to accept any size photos.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
10 Jul 2017 16:38 #229837 by pipedream

Tapatalk would be an ez solution.

Sent from my mobile ham radio via tapatalk™

FTFY, bobby

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
01 Aug 2017 13:17 #229861 by cmosetick

Looks like the July TR section doesn't have photo upload enabled. I think this happens at the turn of some months if a mod hasn't ticked a box to enable it.

Hi Charlie, can you try again now for the July board?

Also, for everyone else out there, Google Photos, photos.google.com (web, iOS, Android) might be the best free way to upload photos to embed on TAY or elsewhere now a days. It automatically backs up photos from smartphones. (when you open the app on WiFi) Which is a handy feature. Easy to create a private album to share with friends or public album to share to a wider audience.

• mikerolfs
  • [mikerolfs]
More
02 Aug 2017 04:29 #229862 by mikerolfs
As of July 6, Photobucket has changed their policy such that third party hosting is available only to paying members. So pictures on all my previous trip reports that reference photos hosted on photobucket, now show only an "upgrade now" icon. How disappointing.

This is what it looks like:

We skinned the lower bit and transitioned to crampons and axe for the steeper upper part

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 Aug 2017 10:35 #229863 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Q: simpest way to put photos on internet for TR
Photo upload now appears to be enabled for both July and August TRs. Thank you!

Mikerolfs photobucket difficulty highlights the need for direct uploads to TAY. If TAY is the photo host, as long as TAY exists, TRs will have images. They're extremely useful when planning trips, and will have increasing use when negotiating access issues in the future. To say that "backcountry skiers have been skiing location X for more than two decades, look here's a photo!" is powerful.

Thanks again!

More
02 Aug 2017 17:19 #229864 by RonL
Thanks for fixing the July Pics!

• cmosetick
  • [cmosetick]
More
07 Aug 2017 18:03 #229874 by cmosetick
As demonstrated at the Turns-All-Year meetup on August 3rd, Ben and I are getting ready to roll-out a new trip report "post photo function" for the existing web site that will make it dead simple to include photos in a post here.

What that means is that Turns-All-Year will be hosting the photos, so they can theoretically exist forever. They will be taking up space that cost the TAY community, that means YOU, or future TAY web site sponsors actual money.

The other good news is that we are reusing the photo upload functionality from the new web site for what I described above, so it will look familiar when the new web site is rolled out.

During the trial period of the photo hosting project, we will be looking at the operating costs, and seeing if we can make this sustainable for the community and sponsors to cover.

Stay tuned for future updates regarding Patreon membership or similar!  :D

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
09 Aug 2017 09:10 - 09 Aug 2017 09:15 #229876 by hyak.net
Try flikr.com.  I've been using it for years personally and for my website storage. There is also an app you can download for your phone to send them to your flikr account.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Sep 2017 19:43 #229944 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Q: simpest way to put photos on internet for TR

As demonstrated at the Turns-All-Year meetup on August 3rd, Ben and I are getting ready to roll-out a new trip report "post photo function" for the existing web site that will make it dead simple to include photos in a post here.

What that means is that Turns-All-Year will be hosting the photos, so they can theoretically exist forever. They will be taking up space that cost the TAY community, that means YOU, or future TAY web site sponsors actual money.

The other good news is that we are reusing the photo upload functionality from the new web site for what I described above, so it will look familiar when the new web site is rolled out.

During the trial period of the photo hosting project, we will be looking at the operating costs, and seeing if we can make this sustainable for the community and sponsors to cover.

Stay tuned for future updates regarding Patreon membership or similar!  :D

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
29 Jan 2018 19:18 #230960 by Good2Go
Anybody know which part of a Google photos sharing URL needs to be posted in the "add images tag"? I tried to create a TR (who does that anymore?!?) and the pics were coming up w/ a ? in the middle of a box. I tried deleting the http: bit, but that didn't work. Maybe the pixel size is too large? This site is a dinosaur in so many respects, which I find mostly lovable, but not when posting pics.

• John Morrow
  • [John_Morrow]
More
30 Jan 2018 06:07 #230961 by John Morrow
I'm confused. Three pics are allowed w/o use of a host site. Are we talking about more than that?
My question is now why won't the photos orient portrait and not just landscape?

• nordique
  • [nordique]
More
19 Nov 2018 13:39 #232016 by nordique
Jake, I use Flickr to share my hiking photos with the folks who join me on hikes and for trip reports on WTA. It's easy to share a link to all photos for a particular trip. My approx 60,000 public photos have been viewed almost 7.5 million times now.