Home > Trip Reports > June 27, Paradise LOST CORN FOUND

June 27, Paradise LOST CORN FOUND

6/27/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kamtron on 6/28/17 1:28am
I went for a tour at Paradise yesterday. Skinning towards Pan face, I passed a triplet of wrestling marmots. I booted the top of Pan face then traversed W to the summer trail, which currently has two short carries. Traveling fast, I made my first transition atop Anvil rock at noon.

Dropping into the Paradise glacier, I found a big slope of corn. Did you leave it there? There was nobody around, so I decided to enjoy it for myself. Maybe one of the hordes from the weekend dropped it from the Muir snowfield and it's just been sitting there, waiting to be found.

The lost corn was good, oh so good. Better than my own corn's been most of this season. Smooth and fast, even in the heat of the day. At the flats below the Paradise glacier, I looked around for the corn's owner. There was nobody to be seen, just solitude. I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it another run.

On my second lap, I thought about how the corn had been left there, and what I should do about it. I thought about the guy who'd fallen on Adams and was bloodied and lost his ski but was okay, about the snomobilers on Baker. I thought about my friends who have died in the mountains, and the friend who is in a wheelchair. I thought, this tribe of skiers has more in common than the internet flame wars demonstrate.

On my third lap, I thought about skiing alone. It isn't really something I can recommend. But the lost corn was so perfect, it made me completely confident in the slope stability, enough to ski the steepest rolls the Paradise glacier offers. I thought about crevasses. I thought about how I don't want to die in the mountains at all, but I do want to ski in these crazy places. I thought about how I'm getting married this weekend, and how much love I have for my wife and family, and I teared up as I skinned back up the glacier listening to a sappy tune.

I still hadn't seen anyone who seemed to be the owner of the corn. The corn was moving, too, making it's way from the Paradise to the West. I decided to follow as long as time allowed. The softened granule had spread to the Muir snowfield, and even all the way to camp Muir. I looked around but couldn't find anyone who would claim the corn. Where was Amar?

No matter, I thought. I will take some of the corn with me back to Seattle, and see if anyone on TAY is it's owner. So I slid along the Muir snowfield, enjoying the luxurious smooth surface, not a hint of sticky, all the way down to the Nisqually glacier edge. I grabbed a handful of corn, and made my way to the car.

Unfortunately, it was melted by the time I reached the city. If it was yours, I'm sorry I lost it, but maybe it will still be there when you go searching.
I got me some there on Saturday! Congratulations!

Solo offers true communion with the spirits.

just follow that path... hang a left, hang a right, and you will find the owner. Beware of moving targets.

Nice photo, love the veils of sluff.

Great thoughts of the "corn snow". Alone does have merit, depending on the area.  Jill and I are in our 70's and have made the right decision along the routes.  ;)

OK, I’ll admit to it: I lost it--- last spring, just before a sprained ankle and two knee replacements sidelined me. I figured I wouldn’t be able to use it for a year or more, so the best thing would be to leave it there for whoever could make good use of it. I’m glad to hear that you found it, and especially that you had the wisdom to make sure it didn’t go to waste. I have faith that the care with which you observed the proprieties will bring us all karma dividends in corn for the next few months and powder next season. Thanks for the wonderful TR and picture.

I was out there Monday trying to figure out how I could ski all that smooth corn by myself.. Thanks for the help ;)

Nice turns and a beautiful trip report. A bit corny, but good.

author=Michael98 link=topic=38694.msg156639#msg156639 date=1498789713]
A bit corny, but good.

That's the spirit  ;D

Yeah... I think some of that corn belongs to me? If you could return it, that would be great. Along with your TPS report. Did you get the memo about the cover letter?
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=office+space+tps+reports&&view=detail&mid=65665104749EECA0488465665104749EECA04884&FORM=VRDGARcover

The corn this season has been in short supply, glad you found the goods hidden in plane sight! Thanks for the solitude musing.

The corn was still hanging in Thurs. (7-29). And we found Amar there....(and he reports skiing it Wed. too...)

author=kenhard link=topic=38694.msg156662#msg156662 date=1499017485] And we found Amar there....

LOST AMAR FOUND!

Amar lives there; yesterday he had 19 friends with him!

Yep, that was the after wedding party!

It was quite the party

Party is complete w/ flag tights. Looks fun! And congrats, dood!

Reply to this TR

june-27-paradise-lost-corn-found
kamtron
2017-06-28 08:28:39