Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2017, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir corn

June 25, 2017, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir corn

6/25/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 6/26/17 3:23am
As Drew pointed out, it's fun to get to use Charles' suggested post title with minimal modification (or, better, none at all!).

Martin had been to Paradise twice before without seeing the upper mountain. Furthermore, he was fresh off an Adams summit ski the day prior, so my relaxed pace was fine with him.  Skied the Chutes at ~11am, then up to Muir and back through the Chutes again at about 5:30p. Surprisingly, the second lap was better than the first.

Travel conditions on the snowfield were quite good, with oodles of traffic. Pan Point has two deep glissade chutes now, one of which is impressive for its sinuous turns and rocks in the bottom. Expect minor carries on most traditional routes to/from Muir.

Found an iPhone with a black case on the snowfield in the afternoon. Left it with the MRNP rangers at the visitor's center.

Finally, a Wilson/Fuhrer note (see third photo): For the second or third time, I've watched a party ski above the cliffs to skier's right of the Wilson Glacier, unaware that the line doesn't go. It's a confusing spot; I've only avoided doing the same because I was familiar with this 2008 TR of Jason's. Yesterday's party was cautious and in control, but it gives me concern each time I see it happen. Don't ski off those cliffs. 

We also found very enjoyable conditions in Nisqually chute at about 1:30 pm - not nearly as sticky as higher on the snowfield.  We found a pair of splitboard skins on the way down - dropped between glacier vista and parking lot.  Send me a private message if they're yours.

Reply to this TR

june-25-2017-mt-rainier-camp-muir-corn
Charlie Hagedorn
2017-06-26 10:23:26