Home > Trip Reports > Jan 22, 2006, The RonJ rally at MRNP

Jan 22, 2006, The RonJ rally at MRNP

1/22/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Scotsman on 1/23/06 2:43am
Blitz was supposed to do this trip report but nothing yet so I decided to fill in.
Anyway, RonJ, Mad dog, JibberD, Korup, Blitz and I met up at the Longmire gate for some small talk while waiting for the gate to open. Many other people there ( my apology for not getting all the names)including ZAP and others. Gate opened at 10.15 approx and we hightailed it to Paradise.
RonJ had this great idea  ;)of skiing from Paradise to Narada falls so we left a car there.
Skinned over to top of Bundy's where fog provided blind powder skiing with vertigo.We lapped that.Meanwhile,
RonJ , Mad dog  and crew having orchestrated this conga line dropped, I suspect ,purposly to the rear and went AWOL and skied a different line down to Mazama road.( crafty old fox)
Via radio contact Field Marshal Jarvis regrouped his troops to meet back up at the parking lot.From the parking lot we followed the snow-shoe trail down to Narada Falls vai Devils Dip, through warming snow that was turning gloppy. Daryll spotted a small slide happening  on some sunny southern slopes as we moved along.
Much flat ground and stiff legged plodding led to Narada falls.  >:(
JibberD, Blitz and Zap had taken the high road and procedded to ski down the large hill overlooking Narada Falls.
Powder turns on a nice 35% slope.
After very little persuasion, I set a skin track back up and we lapped it twice. Very nice, best skiing of the day.
We  had dug a pit a top of Bundy's.  20" new ontop of well defined rain crust that was well bonded. No failure after 30 taps on compression test.
Warming snow and sun on Southern slopes was cause for concern later in the day with trees bombing and cinammon rolls on steeper slopes.
Another great day with Mr. Jarvis. :D

...RonJ , Mad dog  and crew having orchestrated this conga line dropped, I suspect ,purposly to the rear and went AWOL and skied a different line down to Mazama road.( crafty old fox)
We're not really all that crafty, just old.  We really couldn't keep up with all you young chargers. 8)

Thanks Scotsman! and Ron! and all the mouskateers! I have pictures of Ron’s militia in the conga line and bunny hop and the little hill we skied above the parking lot. Pretty day once we got below the clouds.  I will contact AV nerd for tutorial tomorrow on how to send pictures. alisa :)

Even though the vis wasn't the best, the group was.  It certainly was just like a class reunion.  Lots of us having the pre-Paradise breakfast party at the Tall Timbers in Eatonville before heading up.  Once first tracks were laid, making our depth perception come back, the skiing was very good (just one more reason I don't always like to go first  ;)).  Our lagre group broke into several smaller groups, re-grouping at various stages for our tour to Narada.  The tree wells heading down to Narada are HUGE and hungry looking, some of them seemed bottomless. Watch out for those wells and keep an eye on your ski partners, some of the best snow of the day was in amongst the trees.  All in all it was a clear, sunny day at lower elevation ;D.

Brenda and I wondered where you all had gone. We climbed up Edith Creek, then hurried and skied the middle rib below Golden Gates down to the foot bridge before losing the visibility. First tracks and excellent snow. The bridge was interesting. There must have been 10' of snow piled on it, forming a very narrow ridge, with a long drop to the creek below. After searching upstream for a snow covered route across the creek, we decided to go for it. I think we'll ski to the road to cross next time. Anyway, things really sarted getting socked in up on Mazama Ridge with zero visiblility into the backbowl. We decided to hang out for a while and give things a chance to clear out. Finally we went for a couple runs on the road side of the ridge where the trees really helpe with visiblity. Again excellent powder everywhere. One more climb back up and we're greeted to sun and excellent views. Time for a run into the backbowl. Excellent. Let's do it one more time. We finished the day with a run down the slightly crusty west slopes to the road. Made to the tavern in Ashford in time to see the 2nd half of the Seahawks blowout. Here's a few shots.

Bridge:
http://www.telemarktips.com/Photopost/data/500/150_5100.JPG

clearing on Mazama Ridge:
http://www.telemarktips.com/Photopost/data/500/151_5121.JPG

Brenda skiing backbowl:
http://www.telemarktips.com/Photopost/data/500/151_5122.JPG

Treetop. This tree was taller than Brenda 2 weeks ago.
http://www.telemarktips.com/Photopost/data/500/151_5129.JPG

After searching upstream for a snow covered route across the creek, we decided to go for it.

Indeed, a sketchy affair, the bridge crossing md2020 speaks of...  We crossed it a few weeks back and it spooked me for sure.  Then on a later trip we plowed over the creek upstream about 150 yards or so.  I'd imagine with the added snowpack I'll do it that way again...

ronj, Mad_Dog, thanks for a great tour!  My mental map of the area has gone from about non-existent a year ago to an ever growing enormous skiing playground thanks to you (JW too).  You're great!  Now the next missing link is Barn Flats to Reflection Lake then on to the Castle Saddle.

I'd been eyeing Narada Face for some time now and suspected that it may be filled in enough for a ski and it certainly did pan out nicely on Sunday.  Zap put me on the right line and it was pure joy from there.  Then Scotsman blazed a track back to the top and we did it all again a couple of times.  Scotty's an animal...and we love it!!

Leaving Barn Flats in filtered light:

More pics here:

jan-22-2006-the-ronj-rally-at-mrnp
Scotsman
2006-01-23 10:43:26