Home > Trip Reports > June 21, 2017, Naches Peak

June 21, 2017, Naches Peak

6/21/17
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by Zap on 6/21/17 2:21pm
With the up coming heat wave on its way this week, it was a good time to ski now.  I parked on the west side of Chinook Pass  and hiked a short distance to the Pass.  I put on the skis at the Pass and skied down the east facing slope to the base. It was 11am and the sun cups are getting bigger.  The part of the slope that is in the shade was firm €œcups€.  I decided to climb back up and ski the north facing terrain. I have skied the north slopes for years and so skinning up and put on the crampons. I love the crampons for the steep sections. Once I got on the north facing slopes it was again perfect. With small €œcups€ and the tree lined slopes were fun. The runs are short and you can cycle the different lines.  I finished the day by skiing north and then west facing towards  the lake and that exposure is heavily €œcupped€ and mushy. Head north. ;)
We were up there too on Saturday! First time for me having just moved to Seattle from Montana, stoked to see such easy roadside access to many different lines! Looks like there will be easy access for turns into August. Heading back this weekend for slushfest!!

Reply to this TR

june-21-2017-naches-peak
Zap
2017-06-21 21:21:20