Home > Trip Reports > June 20: Little Tahoma via 4 crossing start

June 20: Little Tahoma via 4 crossing start

6/20/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Greg Malloure on 6/20/17 10:07pm
Fred N. and I  tried the 4th crossing approach to skiing little T. I really enjoyed it. The tour was through new areas, and was very scenic. It is about 15 miles, with around 8,000 feet of gain. I have not approached higher up at 8500 feet or Fryingpan, though I highly recommend this tour. And it is getting done fairly often.

For route finding purposes, I thought I would add a little info.

We began our day in the fog, with low visibility, and heavily reliant on the gps, phones and maps. Basically, gain Mazama ridge by being just east of sluskin falls. Once above the falls, in the valley travel north. Avoid following the ridge further east. Follow the paradise glacier the 7,000 Saddle that is just north of Cowlitz rocks . Drop down 900 to the cowlitz glacier, hardly any crevasses here. Cross the glacier heading towards on obvious moraine, and cross the moraine at it's northern most point, near 6200'. Follow gentle slopes around to the left to the whitman glacier, and up little T.

The good news at that the reported sun cups are gone! Buried beneath a new layer of snow and skiing from up high was pretty good.

Reply to this TR

june-20-little-tahoma-via-4-crossing-start
Greg Malloure
2017-06-21 05:07:46