Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2027 - Silver Solstice

June 20, 2027 - Silver Solstice

6/20/17
Posted by pipedream on 6/20/17 4:26pm
Despite mostly sunny weather in Hyak all day, we arrived to Windy Pass around 6 o'clock beneath ominous gray clouds and began the carry up the road worried it might rain. After 25 mins of road walking and another 20 mins of bushwhacking we reached skinnable snow on the looker's right of Silver's north bowl and entered into the fog, occasionally encountering others making their way up the somewhat firm, heavily suncupped & tunneled snow. After about 2 hours we reached the bottom of the summit bowl and discovered only a small sliver of skiable snow remained from the summit ridge. We made quick work of the dirt & loose scree and took the opportunity to rip a lap from the ridge down the upper half of the NW bowl. We then regained the bottom of the summit bowl and perched ourselves on the knoll in its exit where the fog broke and we were treated to a spectacular sunset. Departing as the sun dipped over the horizon, we were pleased to discover the main route down still had just barely enough snow to ski to the creek. From there we traversed left thru the dark & dirty woods to the old road and followed that out. Several patches of skiable snow lingered in the upper reaches of the road, some chose to connect them while others carried. Still, there was skiable snow within 50' of the car, just not as continuous as you'd wish.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/70f35b5cdca29953b29b25b04c17ec1e.jpg" />

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/227f8038e9b545ba65f92545d0e21320.jpg" />

EDIT: pics, although most of them blurry as it would appear my phone camera decided to imbibe in the "summit" beverages a little too much ;D
I'm sure you had fun - but it's obviously done!😄

It's not over 'til the fat lady sings... but I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing her siren call from the summit this weekend :P

In other news, Edelweiss Bowl still looks skiable, although it'd be quite the slog up there & back down. Same for those chutes above Commonwealth Basin between Red & Snoqualmie. At least for the latter there'd a well-defined trail...

Reply to this TR

june-20-2027-silver-solstice
pipedream
2017-06-20 23:26:22