Home > Trip Reports > June 19, 2017, Adams - SKI FOUND - SW chutes

June 19, 2017, Adams - SKI FOUND - SW chutes

6/19/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by dwayne on 6/20/17 12:31pm
Skied the SW Chutes Monday.  Pretty awesome.....super duper silky corn from about 200 ft in till the bottom gave out about 300 ft from the bottom.  Waited till 1:45 to ski down...breezy.  Skiing after about 15 min of hiking.  Anyways.....

There was a single ski at the trailhead against the trailhead sign...no idea how it got there.  I decided to bring it back to Seattle and post it.

It is a Cham 97 with Kinpin 10 tech bindings, 178 cm

Let me know if it is yours and we will figure out how to get it back to you.

Rip snortin!
Just speculation, but maybe the ski belongs to the guy that took the fall last weekend?

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=38649.0

Saturday evening we observed an individual return to the parking lot with a bloody face, tech ski boots, and no skis.  His partner had skis.  Probably belongs to the former.

(Think the rescue was for a hiker)

author=Patarero link=topic=38654.msg156461#msg156461 date=1498070824]
Saturday evening we observed an individual return to the parking lot with a bloody face, tech ski boots, and no skis.  His partner had skis.  Probably belongs to the former.

(Think the rescue was for a hiker)

Correct, the rescue on 6/17 was for a hiker.  Good luck getting the ski back!

I'm sure the ski was brought to the trailhead by whoever found it, and that it was left in that very obvious place so that whoever lost it would see it there when he/she came back to search. That's the right thing to do, which is why people do this with lost gear.

Bringing it back to Seattle seems to me entirely the wrong thing to do. The skier whose property that is knows perfectly well where it was lost, therefore where to look for it. That person may or may not have any connection to Seattle, or to TAY.

I'm hoping you at least left a large, weatherproof note in an obvious spot at the trailhead with your contact information.... If not, maybe you could think about ways to have someone else do this for you. Make it big, bright, and un-missable. You might call the forest service too, if you haven't already done so.

Mark

author=markharf link=topic=38654.msg156469#msg156469 date=1498085834]

Bringing it back to Seattle seems to me entirely the wrong thing to do.

I would much rather drive to Seattle from most anywhere than subject myself and my car to the ordeal of driving to the Cold Springs trail head.  Drove this Friday and it was awful.  Post your find here, on cascadeclimbers.com, nwhikers.net, wta.org and with the Forest Service.  Your lost-ski pilgrim will be in touch soon enough.

Right you are Mark!

Found it Sunday at the bottom of the southwest chutes after a glorious run in conditions as perfect as perfect can be. There, in the "goddamn my quads burn" portion of the run, lay this poor lost and lonely ski. No left leg, no right mate, just a true one-ski quiver resigned to a solitary fate.

Anyway, I left it at the trailhead because it was clearly a recent loss and I was too lazy to take it to the ranger station which was probably the right thing.

Considered taking it to Seattle and posting on TAY, but again....too lazy.

Dwayne had his heart in the right place, and hindsight is always 20/20.

Looking back, I should have left it there, saved the pack-weight for beer, and not inadvertently entered people into a flame war.

Let's all just ski, be buds, and hope the owner of the thing is OK.

-Mike

It seems like it is going to find its pair as a friend of the owner has seen this post and contacted me.  Good to know how it got there Mike.

Outstanding! Well done, dude.

author=dwayne link=topic=38654.msg156475#msg156475 date=1498108726]
It seems like it is going to find its pair as a friend of the owner has seen this post and contacted me.  Good to know how it got there Mike.

I'd love to hear his story about how he lost it, if he's in a good enough mood after getting it back!!!

author=Michael98 link=topic=38654.msg156474#msg156474 date=1498102636]
Right you are Mark!

Found it Sunday at the bottom of the southwest chutes after a glorious run in conditions as perfect as perfect can be.

On a related note, do you recall what your drop in time into the chutes was on Sunday, Mike? I'm heading up tomorrow, and just trying to calibrate for the warmer expected conditions...

We dropped in at 1:15pm which ended up being prime, only because there was rain and heavy wind the first part of the day and maybe all of the previous day it sounds like.

There were many soggy climbers and skiers heading the wrong direction Sunday morning. Had they had hung in there, they would have been rewarded with cobalt skies and full hearts. Oh man, such a great day.

If the weather is nice, I would plan to drop in before noon. You can always drink tea and enjoy the view while you wait for things to soften up.

Have an awesome trip!

Awesome, thanks for the info - that's about what I was aiming for!

It turns out that the ski did belong to the person with the bloody face who lives in the Seattle area.  They had inadvertently skied down the SW chutes in a white out on Saturday.  Perhaps it was hard and challenging.  An accident with gear lost occurred.  Only one ski was around but they left it since the other was gone.  Sounds like they are happy to just get out in one piece.  Maybe they will post more details.

So there is another ski out there.  Keep your eyes peeled.  Sad to see an orphan ski :'(

2,000' fall of his life. He just posted on Facebook TAY. I just replied.

DANG; that's quite a story. So, the day of his accident was what, last weekend? I remember we decided against last weekend since it seemed like a lot of rain was coming in 15th-16th. Given the perfect conditions we found yesterday in the chutes, it really amazes me how quickly things can change. Sounds like a terrifying climb and descent overall, so glad he's not hurt that badly. For the record, we did not see the other ski anywhere in the chutes....

Dave.

It was last Saturday (6/17)

I saw the Facebook post and understand he went for a pretty nasty fall and such, but I can't quite get over the thought of leaving a ski on the mountain simply because you can't find it's mate. This is essentially littering. Thank you, Mike for bringing it back to the trailhead.

I've never fallen 2,000' at up to 41 miles per hour. Anyone out there who has???            I think he just wanted to keep moving before he stopped. A lost piece of equipment would have been the last thing on my mind...

author=sgertz link=topic=38654.msg156517#msg156517 date=1498246657] I can't quite get over the thought of leaving a ski on the mountain simply because you can't find it's mate. This is essentially littering.

In his condition, I'm sure he felt lucky to be alive. I SERIOUSLY doubt "littering" was on his mind!! Sheesh.

I'm glad the story behind that ski was one of survival. A lone stick that far down the chute had me pretty concerned, particularly because the last time I wanted to ski that line there was a deceased climber half-way in.

author=caverpilot link=topic=38654.msg156519#msg156519 date=1498252384]
In his condition, I'm sure he felt lucky to be alive. I SERIOUSLY doubt "littering" was on his mind!! Sheesh.

I guess I'm struggling to see how this isn't similar to the two who crashed a snowmobile into a crevasse up on Baker and left it there. A ski is a lot easier to retrieve than a snowmobile.

fyi, we dropped half a jones splitboard at the th board. It was first spotted at the lunch counter, we later found it again at the friday road snow transition point and carried it down the rest of the way. Group effort?

^^ looks like this:

That half of the split is gone as of late Sunday. Hope it was the owner that nabbed it.

I saw the forest rangers take it and some other items with them on Sunday afternoon.

Reply to this TR

june-19-2017-adams-ski-found-sw-chutes
dwayne
2017-06-20 19:31:43