Home > Trip Reports > June 18, 2017, Interglacier

June 18, 2017, Interglacier

6/18/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 6/18/17 2:54pm
Skiable snow begins at 4.8-5k, going quickly below Glacier Basin, plenty above. Snow in late afternoon was warm/soft in the top 2-3", seemingly consolidated below.  There is no need to cross the river on the way up. If you find yourself at the river, backtrack 50m and look for two NPS wands.

Interglacier has a few incipient cracks; anything of concern was readily avoided. Glacier Basin is runnel-ey, but they're small.

Susan and I had never been on that side of the mountain. Visiting Camp Schurman was in order, so we schlepped the glacier tools for the short bit of time on the Emmons. If you're prepared for the rest of the mountain, that bit is in good-enough shape. Neat place; the Emmons is impressive.

Fun skinning up with three amigos, one of whom we already knew well.

4km GFS was very useful in choosing our ski destination and timing our ascent. We slept in at home in order to tag the afternoon weather window. Rained much of the way there on the drive, almost dry on the whole hike in.

Good luck and safe travels to everyone heading that way in the coming weather window.
Thanks for the report Charlie. I've got friends coming in from UT and we are headed up for a climb this week. I've really been wondering about conditions.

Thanks Charlie, headed up there tomorrow!  Hoping to miss the 20% chance showers currently in the forecast....

Summit wind forecast looks a little breezy as far out as NWS gives winds in the recreational forecast.  Kind of a surprise; I usually think of these summer highs as yielding benign winds.

To add to Charlie's relevant beta: big avalanche debris pile that was blocking the trail now has a path chainsawed through, making for easy walking on the trail. Skinnable snow begins shortly thereafter. If you cross the river (we went to Ruth), there are now 2 tricky spots where the snow has melted away from the river requiring a quick boot on one. Stay on summer trail for easier travel to the basin. Ruth chutes in good shape.

Solstice update: great skiing on Ruth, started skinning around 5,500 ft.

Reply to this TR

june-18-2017-interglacier
Charlie Hagedorn
2017-06-18 21:54:30