Home > Forum > G3 ION Service Announcement - Warranty (UPDATED)

G3 ION Service Announcement - Warranty (UPDATED)

• PhilH
  • [PhilH]
More
17 Jun 2017 21:44 - 24 Jun 2017 18:51 #229771 by PhilH
I stumbled onto this on G3's website:

"It has come to G3’s attention that the Front Heel Body Screws of some ION Binding Heel Turrets were not installed to our production specifications. As a result, the screws may come loose and cause the binding to release."

If you have ION's you might want to go take a look.

www.genuineguidegear.com/life/blog/g3/se...ncement-ion-bindings

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PhilH
  • [PhilH]
More
24 Jun 2017 18:50 #229793 by PhilH
Update: I have a pair of bindings that fall in the serial number range affected by the recall. I went to the G3 website and filled out the warranty repair "form" and received an email reply with instructions for removing the heel turret along with a return authorization number. The turret, springs, plunger and adjustment screws need to be sent to G3 for replacement.

Kind of a pain in the backside for us ION devotees but luckily, in my case, the affected bindings are still new in the box so I don't have a pair of skis that are out of service while GS replaces the heel turrets.

Anyone else have bindings affected by the recall?

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 Jun 2017 22:05 #229794 by telemack
I have; Ion LT 12.  I used them once.  Had one release but I probably didn't click in correctly. I've sent in the warranty form but not heard back.  I don't recall seeing any mention of this issue while reading up on it before purchase.
From your information, PhilH, it sounds like the parts can be disconnected without removing the heel piece from the ski??? My new Voile V6s would like that.

• PhilH
  • [PhilH]
More
25 Jun 2017 10:19 #229796 by PhilH
Telemack, I believe the heel turret comes off without removing the base from the ski. I haven't done it yet - on my to do list today. G3 just announced the recall a couple of weeks ago. Before that I hadn't heard any rumblings or rumors of a problem. Even Lou over at Wildsnow hadn't posted any reports of a problem and he's the canary in the coalmine, so to speak.

• PhilH
  • [PhilH]
More
19 Jul 2017 22:25 #229853 by PhilH
UPDATE: I mailed the heel turrets off to G3 on 06-29 and got replacements back yesterday, 07-18. G3 calls the replacements "calibrated," whatever that means, but I'm calling them refurbished because the turrets I got back have different serial numbers from the ones I sent in. They show slight wear on the pins and body but some parts, like the heel lifters, are new. I find this disconcerting only because the turrets I sent in were new. So I swapped new for refurbished. This isn't a big enough deal to me to make an issue of but still....

Lou over at Wildsnow has an interesting article about tightening the offending screws yourself with a torque wrench instead of sending them in for repair.

www.wildsnow.com/22864/fat-torque-wrench...r-review/#more-22864

More
22 Jul 2017 17:47 #229855 by filbo
Used the Ion 12 last season and was very satisfied with its performance. Took the turrets off as prescribed in the G3 memo and sent them in. They returned last week and I reassembled them, did not check to see if they were the same ones I sent in either way they are set for another season of touring and skiing.

• telemack
  • [telemack]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
26 Jul 2017 10:03 #229856 by telemack
I sent mine in and got them back in the mail after 3-4 weeks. G3 said the owner pays return shipping b/c it's a voluntary recall ???

More
26 Jul 2017 11:01 #229857 by davidG
So, Dostie was suggesting the Ion may be the best choice for TTS..

More
05 Oct 2017 15:30 - 05 Oct 2017 15:48 #229964 by rippy
I sent my Ion 10's in about 6 weeks ago and just received a rather beat up and heavily scarred set of heels. These are not what was sent to them at all...used mine a couple days and they were near perfect. I've sent back an e-mail asking for the correct (my original) heels and I will be very disappointed if they can't resolve this. UPDATE: Curtis with G3 shares my concern and will ship a new set of heels. I'm returning the chewed up pair I received and things should be resolved soon. My confidence is restored!