Home > Forum > Adams Glacier up, N. Face or NW Ridge down?

Adams Glacier up, N. Face or NW Ridge down?

• thatcherk1
  • [thatcherk1]
More
15 Jun 2017 09:58 #156378 by thatcherk1
Looking at an early July climb of Adams Glacier. Thinking abut taking skis up to ski down the N Face or NW Ridge. My understanding is that N Face is pretty spicy and steep. Is there a moderate ski descent on that side of the mountain? I've read that NW Ridge is a more moderate option, but is it worth skiing? For background I've skied SW Chutes, Rainier-Emmons, Baker-Coleman&Easton, Nisqually Chutes. Those are kind of where my comfort level is at.

Also any recent beta on conditions of Adams Glacier or the ridge/Face would be fabulous.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
15 Jun 2017 10:15 #156381 by kamtron
N face of NW ridge is steep, sustained skiing above cliffs. If you fall in the steepest part and cannot arrest (unlikely to be able to arrest), the most likely outcome is death due to large cliffs and crevasses below.

Lava ridge is supposed to be more moderate, but I have not done it. Sneaking down the NW ridge is less steep than the N face of it, but it is still quite exposed, with large bergschrunds at the bottom that must be crossed. The Adams glacier could make a good ski if the crevasses aren't too open.

More
15 Jun 2017 20:45 #156394 by river59
I agree with Kam on the NFNWR. Not sure I could convince myself that any part of that is moderate.

You could try the Mazama, if you are looking for something moderate, but less crowded than the south side. A night at sunrise camp is worth the trip!

The limited glimpses that I have had of the North side from a distance recently showed plenty of rock on the ridges.

Jason Hummel, Skye Sjue, and crew have posted some interesting TRs of some of the lesser skied routes on Adams. Definitely worth a read if you are looking for something new.

• Good2Go
  • [Good2Go]
More
16 Jun 2017 11:27 #156397 by Good2Go
If the NWR doesn't look good, you should be able to easily descend the White Salmon and cut back around to the N below the bottom of the NWR. The White Salmon usually has a shrund at the top, which isn't visible from above (just below the entrance chute). It's usually passable on the far skier's left, with a sweet, crack free run from there down. If it's not passable at the top on the left, you can stay far skier's right along the base of The Pinnacle until you pass the shrund and then traverse back over to the left for the remainder of the run (because no cracks).