Home > Trip Reports > June 11, 2017, Colchuck Glacier

June 11, 2017, Colchuck Glacier

6/11/17
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by goleary on 6/12/17 1:59am
Ed & I brought our skis up the NBC and the extra effort was worthwhile!  There were a few patches from the Summit to the col but the real fun started at the col.  Nearly 3k feet and 1 very short carry brought us to where the trail enters the boulder field on the south west end of the lake.

We saw a couple other groups getting their June turns as well.

Nice work! I was in the area on Friday and the snow was firm. I bet it was perfect for the NBC. I skied on Aasgard too early and got rattled. I had a turn-around time of 11am though, as I needed to pick up kids from school at 2:45 in Wenatchee :)

It was actually a tad softer in the NBC than I would have preferred, that route gets hits by the sun early!!  The North Face was quite firm though and the Glacier was softer than we expected (around 12pm I believe) considering the lack of sun.

Any chance you spotted a solitary skin lying around on the glacier or the snowfield between the glacier and the trail?  I lost one a couple weeks ago.

author=Scottk link=topic=38627.msg156356#msg156356 date=1497400329]
Any chance you spotted a solitary skin lying around on the glacier or the snowfield between the glacier and the trail?  I lost one a couple weeks ago.

Sorry, I can't say that I did. We were moving pretty quick.

Reply to this TR

june-11-2017-colchuck-glacier
goleary
2017-06-12 08:59:13