Home > Trip Reports > June 11, 2017, Jove Peak

June 11, 2017, Jove Peak

6/11/17
Posted by DOD on 6/11/17 12:14pm
This little gem has to be the "mojove" for east siders! 23 miles and under an hours drive from Dans, you have the silver peak of Leavenworth.  Access from the east side is a breeze, but smith brook from the west still sits under several feet of snow.

Out of the car skinning and rapid access to an invigorating SE aspect slope topping out at 6k  skiable down to the hairpin at 4k. The big wide open slopes of this face, unlike most peaks in this zone is entirely treeless and grassy. This makes for some great late season skiing and smooth consistent pitch at around 30 degrees.

Splendid views of rock, union, labyrinth, glacier, lichtenberg, Stevens, Howard, daniels, chiwakums, I realized that I was at the  epicenter of a summer skiers Valhalla. Looking out at all the peaks and zones that I had enjoyed in the winter brought back a memory per minute as I surveyed all before me. Stevens closed almost 2 months ago, and now, Like Ronin, I wander this grand land masterless, free to ski at my bidding under a warm summers sun.

It made me think of all the friends that I have lost in skiing over the last few months to kayaking, rock climbing, baseball, sailing, mountain biking and other worthless pursuits... even hiking!....

I sat in blissful solitude, taking in the silent sub tones of the orchestra mother nature had prepared for me, on this beautiful peak. A marmot pooped it's head and wondered what I was doing and then a bald eagle soared low in curiosity. So low I could almost reach out and touch her talons. Only her wings in play with the wind broke the silence, she gave me a glassy eyed stare before banking effortlessly on thermals to the west. That was my queue to go ski.

Top of Jove looking out to Union, Lichtenberg, Stevens
[img <br /">https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19059285_10155525280954575_7690905060355198461_n.jpg?oh=64860617dc1d8fc77b6b7fb9eba50cd7&oe=59A245A3" />
Love the prose, colors the imagination better then a few photos.  Almost makes me want to uproot and move to the east side.

Thanks for the nice report DOD! Jove is a gem indeed, and glad to hear skiing is still good out there.

Thanks dude. I'll try to get some pictures up shortly

Reply to this TR

june-11-2017-jove-peak
DOD
2017-06-11 19:14:52