telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 08:39 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2017 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2017 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 8, Baker Squak and Talum
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 8, Baker Squak and Talum  (Read 1953 times)
tabski

June 8, Baker Squak and Talum
« on: 06/09/17, 11:25 AM »

Joe Kam and myself summitted Kulshan via the Squak on Wednesday. Road is snow covered about 1/2 mile back from TH. Stopped to look at the snowmobile still in the big crack at ~8,500, but otherwise skinned uninterrupted from the car to the summit.

Skied superb snow on Roman Wall, becoming somewhat sticky at crater rim level. Here we transitioned to skins again and climbed to Sherman Peak from where we made a descent of Talum Glacier. Snow was excellent at the top, and stayed good throughout, though sluffing on steep slopes became an issue lower down. Didn't note typical pinwheeling signs or point-release action digging deeper down -- the moving snow entailed the top 2-3", but was fast moving on a slightly icy interface beneath. Noted a very substantial older debris track running out the remainder of the glacier below and out of sight in the woods below, likely from the rains the first week of May. At ~7,600' we traversed back to the Squak.

* IMG_6839.PNG (111.76 KB, 737x600 - viewed 1040 times.)
ShailCaesar!
5Member

Re: June 8, Baker Squak and Talum
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/17, 02:45 PM »

That sled is gone man.
kamtron

« Reply #2 on: 06/09/17, 03:02 PM »

Lower on the Talum, Joe skis the runneled steeps

* 18949658_385800865149363_7683096107655626752_n.jpg (131.57 KB, 720x800 - viewed 936 times.)
Pinch

« Reply #3 on: 06/09/17, 04:29 PM »

Noted a very substantial older debris track running out the remainder of the glacier below and out of sight in the woods below, likely from the rains the first week of May.

Yep, that's exactly when it happened!
Also, of note, is that the drop from the summit of Sherman onto the Talum is nicely filled in right now. Sometimes it can be tricky (for me at least!) with that small rock band right off the top.
geosean
1Member

« Reply #4 on: 06/12/17, 08:29 AM »

So what's the story with the snow machine still being there? Are people allowed to leave their trash on the mountain now? 'Cause I have an old fridge I need rid of and the dump will charge me.
Pinch

« Reply #5 on: 06/12/17, 09:08 AM »

You tell me!
Looks like some members of TAY know the snowboarders who piloted the snowmobile into the crevasse. Maybe they have an update?
From what it sounds like, you can dispose of smaller items without worry.
n16ht5

« Reply #6 on: 06/12/17, 03:28 PM »

So what's the story with the snow machine still being there? Are people allowed to leave their trash on the mountain now? 'Cause I have an old fridge I need rid of and the dump will charge me.

I was up there the day they rode it in. Two skiers that borrowed a snowmobile and rode into a wide open crevasse, they are planning to go extract t this weekend. Northwest Glacier Cruisers snowmobile club is already in contact with the forest service to make sure it is removed from the mountain.
n16ht5

« Reply #7 on: 06/12/17, 03:29 PM »

And from what I hear it is a very big fine to leave a snowmobile up on the mountain
Norseman

« Reply #8 on: 06/12/17, 04:22 PM »

I've been texting with one of the dudes... mostly to the tune of, "Whatchagonna do aboot that snomachine still in the ice crack, eh, bud?"

He avoided some of my pointier questions about the likelihood of the fat fine, but wanted an opinion on the mechanics of the extraction. He said that the helo guys don't like the nature of the pick because the upslope side of the crevasse overhangs and obscures the load, also causing uncertain line tension.

I offered that perhaps the sledneck group could bring some sort of collapsible aluminum frame to set up at the downslope lip, with a pulley at the end of and overhanging member and a multi-z drag setup between deeply-driven anchors or sleds tied together... with the obvious challenge being how to wrastle the 500-lb machine safely over the lip once it's reached the top of the lift.

I suggested that he'll be able to scrape up the pulverized bits once the machine emerges from the toe of the glacier in about 200 years.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.