Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2017, Mount Thielsen, OR

June 7, 2017, Mount Thielsen, OR

6/7/17
OR elsewhere
Posted by zigz on 6/8/17 3:27pm
Thielsen surpassed our expectations. My climbing partner told me shortly before the mountain became visible that it required a scramble to the summit. When the mountain became visible from the road I was a bit surprised at the spire I was looking at... it's an eerie summit to say the least. It's a bit spicey but doable and quite rewarding once on top. We did not use rope but there are repel anchors set so potentially you could send a more comfortable climber ahead to set a hand line of some kind.

Had a great ski descent. Took the NW chute which currently bottlenecks to about 4' wide section of snow while surrounded by impressive volcanic formations. Skied a skiers left variation after poking out of the narrow chute that ended up being a highly memorable line.

1.8 miles walking on trail until we were able to skin. The gps had it at a 4K accent. Mosquitoes are out in force in Oregon...

Have some great video I'd like to share but don't think I can post video on this platform?

Wolverine! Volcano shaman. Nice work on Shastina/Shasta in a day. Denali training in full force?

Reply to this TR

june-7-2017-mount-thielsen-or
zigz
2017-06-08 22:27:26