Home > Forum > Suggestions for good day pack...

Suggestions for good day pack...

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
08 Jun 2017 08:44 - 08 Jun 2017 09:01 #229741 by dfhkvs
Suggestions for good day pack... was created by dfhkvs
I'd love some first hand feedback on people's favorite day packs. I have a sweet Deuter (not ski specific) which is great for hiking / climbing, but sucks for skiing. Top loading only, crappy ski attachment options, and so on.

I'd like something that makes it easy to put skis on (stout straps that won't get cut by edges, etc.) in A-frame, and possibly diagonal carry. Also something where I can access my stuff while skis are on (not easy with a top loader).

Thanks! Oh, re: size, something 30-ish liter, 40 max.

***Since someone asked, NO, and airbag is not a priority. Thanks for asking***

Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toddball
  • [toddball]
More
08 Jun 2017 09:00 - 08 Jun 2017 12:05 #229742 by toddball
Replied by toddball on topic Re: Suggestions for good day pack...
Do you want an airbag or not?  I use a BCA Float 27 Tech for day trips and like it a lot.  It doesn't have A-frame carry (because that would get in the way of the airbag), but I think the newer packs have solved this.  When I get tired of lugging the airbag around I switch to a Cold Cold World Valdez, but that's basically a climbing pack.

Edit: I've been looking at the Alpine Threadworks bags, especially the Selkirk and Rockies Rolltop. I think the AT guy can do a panel-loading customization for a little extra. Maybe also worth mentioning that (a) even top-loading bags are relatively accessible with diagonal carry, and (b) skis can be attached diagonally to any bag with two vertical daisy chains.

The BD Cirque packs also look sweet, and are about the same price.

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
08 Jun 2017 09:44 #229743 by dave095790
Replied by dave095790 on topic Re: Suggestions for good day pack...
Camp-USA makes some nice ski-specific packs. I have the M5 as my "HUGE!" pack.

BD definitely has some nice looking newer ski packs. I have an old Speed 22 and also like it a lot. There are multiple newer versions and similar styles (Cirque, Speed, etc). This is my go to ski pack.

I have a Mammut Trion Light 28 that I like a lot, but did not like the bigger version. They make some specific ski packs. The roll-top closure is fine on my 28, but I didn't like it on their bigger ones. I would look at non-roll-top closures from Mammut. This is my go-to if I cannot get the Speed 22 to fit.

Ultimate Direction has some skimo centric packs, but obviously they can be used for everyday touring. If I were looking to replace something in the size range of these, this is what I would get.

More
08 Jun 2017 12:29 #229744 by Jason4
Replied by Jason4 on topic Re: Suggestions for good day pack...
I have a Mammut Trion Pro that has the zipper in the back panel plus the drawstring + brain top closure. I love this pack and recently pushed the aluminum stay through the fabric. I'll probably replace it with another one exactly the same or maybe a size smaller with another big pack.

FWIW, I'm disappointed that it wore through where it did but I've been using it as my normal ski touring pack plus climbing pack plus cragging pack usually carrying a double rack.

I have the bigger size (50l?) and have managed to fit a double sleeping bag plus mountaineering gear and a light rack inside it. I'm tempted to replace it for just day trips with the 35l version and then get a 60l pack for more gear intense trips.

My previous pack was a Cilo 40l worksack which was nice but always left bruises if I was carrying over 25 lbs.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Jun 2017 14:18 #229746 by Andrew Carey
Replied by Andrew Carey on topic Re: Suggestions for good day pack...
I've been using an Osprey Kode 22 L for several years for spring/summer/fall skiing but it can be a little cramped on the days where I have to carry extra clothing etc.; it can be irritating to get stuff in and out.  I use a Deuter Guide 35+ for midwinter--it carries skis & heavier loads very well and has a side zipper.  I'll use the Kode for the rest of the spring summer on my shortish day trips, because it is alreay covered in salt deposits LOL and it carries skis pretty well (the ski straps are great but the belt is a little wimpy).  Then it will be relegated to my side country pack.

I just bought a Patagonia Snow Drifter 30 L (MSRP $170, I got in on sale at ½ price).  Its avy pocket is roomier, as is its main compartment.  Access from top and zippered back.  Nice shoulder straps and belt and apparently good ski carrying system (haven't tried it yet).  Goggle pocket I'll probably use for "possibles".  It is the same weight as my Kode.  I expect I will use it this Winter and the following early spring except on days when I have to carry a bunch of stuff like a bivy sack, etc. The Deuter is 1 lb heavier than the Kode and the Snow Drifter.

I suspect the Snow Drifter could make a very good all-season day pack.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
08 Jun 2017 15:43 #229747 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: Suggestions for good day pack...
+1 on the Mammut Trion Pro - I have the 50L, at first glance, it seems a little big for day tours, but you can cinch the side straps in nice and tight and it becomes nice and thin and close to the back. Size wise, it is really comfortable for me - one of the key considerations in choosing a pack. I use the back zipper to access my pack 99.99% of the time - really convenient with and without skis strapped on and you can get to everything in the pack - I almost never use the top-load access. Another big + for this pack is the separate avy front pocket is big enough to fit my avy shovel and probe. Holds A-frame really well - also convenient Ice-Axe carry if you need it. You'll need to add some straps to rig your own diagonal carry - but definitely do-able - you can even make your own skimo style diag carry fairly easily if you're so inclined for frequent and quick transitions (although definitely not a light skimo pack). I never use my smaller pack anymore (even though it's big enough for day tours) since my Mammut Trion Pro is SOOO much more comfortable.

• watsonskipsmith
  • [watsonskipsmith]
More
09 Jun 2017 17:43 - 09 Jun 2017 17:52 #229749 by watsonskipsmith
Replied by watsonskipsmith on topic Re: Suggestions for good day pack...
I like my Black Diamond Cirque 45
(The Cirque 35 is similar but smaller)

Ultralight.

The SwingArm shoulder straps have an interesting feature where the 2 shoulder straps are connected through a tunnel near the waist and can slide back and forth to equalize and auto adjust. I like it.

The Tuck-away diagonal and A-frame ski carry feature is awesome! Very easy and fast to attach skis to the pack.

www.flickr.com/photos/11723786@N06/34849...m-72157684342200946/

The down sides:
-The easy access closure at the top for the main compartment is not totally water proof unless positioned perfectly to cover the small hole left by the draw string.
-There is not great spot for your goggles as the zipper pocket on the top is barely big enough for goggles.

www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-cirque...kpack-2746cu-in?rr=t

• Chamois
  • [Chamois]
More
12 Jun 2017 14:41 #229757 by Chamois
Replied by Chamois on topic Re: Suggestions for good day pack...
BCA 30 0r 40