Home > Forum > MRNP Expanded Cell Phone Service - BC Ski Impact?

MRNP Expanded Cell Phone Service - BC Ski Impact?

• gscruggs
  • [gscruggs]
More
07 Jun 2017 13:03 #229734 by gscruggs
MRNP is currently collecting public comment on the installation of cell phone equipment at Paradise that would presumably significantly enhance cell coverage.

I'd like to write about this for Backcountry Magazine but first they want to know it's newsworthy for the backcountry ski community.

So, as a backcountry skier, are you in favor, opposed, or neutral? How would enhanced cell phone service affect your backcountry ski plans at MRNP? Are there incidents in the past where cell phone service would have made a difference in your tour (could be as mundane as trying to find out if touring partners are running on time to meet at Paradise, or as serious as S&R)?

Feel free to comment or pm me. I can follow up for proper attribution if the story moves forward.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 Jun 2017 14:26 #229735 by pipedream
All seriousness aside, improved cellphone service at Rainier would let me share those sick 'grams in real time instead of having to #latergram them after getting back to "civilization"

Also who doesn't enjoy browsing a good meme dump on the loo? I'd be able to get my daily dose of funnies & reply to work email from Muir. Seems like a bonus to me...

More
07 Jun 2017 15:09 #229736 by sgertz
^^^^^this guy  :D :D :D :D :D

I think cell coverage would be hugely beneficial in the Paradise area. As someone who volunteers on the ski patrol based out of Paradise, I feel that a lot of incidents could be made much easier if SAR responders could communicate directly with the injured/lost/etc.

Being able to call up ski partners is also valuable.

The one down side is that it may become annoying, seeing people constantly checking social media instead of enjoying the wonders of the national park. That's not to mention the people blasting music and playing Pokemon Go (or whatever the new thing is these days). Blasting music already happens, but I'm sure we could expect it to happen even more.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Jun 2017 17:40 #229737 by Randito

... seeing people constantly checking social media instead of enjoying the wonders of the national park.

Verizon customers already have decent signal above Panorama Point -- so the hordes on the Muir snowfield are already engaged in such shenanigans.

... playing Pokemon Go

The Pokemon folks better be sure that all the Pokestops are all on trails -- fines for Meadow stomping should include both a USD$ penalty and a PokéCoins penalty.

Personally I'm not seeing any downside to a cell tower at Paradise and some definite benefits to safety. Paradise is hardly the place to experience solitude and wilderness. Folks looking for such things know to go elsewhere.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Jun 2017 17:51 #229738 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: MRNP Expanded Cell Phone Service - BC Ski Impact?
There are good arguments across the spectrum of available options, from no change to full connectivity.

It is my opinion that adding voice/SMS service, but not data, would substantially improve visitor access to safety services without bringing the internet deeper into the Park.

I can walk and ski as well as I can today precisely because I was able to make a cell-phone call from the juncture of the Wilson and Nisqually Glaciers, a lucky thing. Without the catalyzing phone call, the subsequent work of the Climbing Rangers could not have happened so quickly.

• Andrew Carey
  • [acarey]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
08 Jun 2017 06:31 #229740 by Andrew Carey

Personally I'm not seeing any downside to a cell tower at Paradise and some definite benefits to safety.    Paradise is hardly the place to experience solitude and wilderness.    Folks looking for such things know to go elsewhere.

So true! And, as I understand it, it is not even a tower, just equipment in the attic of the visitor center.

If anything, if the people that chatter so loudly to one another or yell to one another when somewhat separated while hiking and skinning had cell service they might even be more quiet.

More
13 Jun 2017 17:25 #229762 by Scottk
I'm in favor both for safety and communications with party members that have wandered off for whatever reason.

More
14 Jun 2017 10:22 - 14 Jun 2017 10:25 #229764 by Stefan
IMO:  People take more chances with knowing they are within a phone call away from help.  I predict more neophytes will be calling for more help--there will be more rescues of people who put themselves when they should not...for example...going to Muir in 80 degree weather...in Nikes and their Lebron basketball shirt while carrying a Fuji disposable water bottle....and then the weather turns on their way down....and then they become lost...and very cold.  More of these incidents will be called IMO.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Jun 2017 14:52 #229772 by Randito

IMO:  People take more chances with knowing they are within a phone call away from help.  I predict more neophytes will be calling for more help--there will be more rescues of people who put themselves when they should not...for example...going to Muir in 80 degree weather...in Nikes and their Lebron basketball shirt while carrying a Fuji disposable water bottle....and then the weather turns on their way down....and then they become lost...and very cold.  More of these incidents will be called IMO.

IME the "moron effect" is already fully in force in the Paradise environment. That's based on several years as a "Nordic Patrol" volunteer.