Home > Trip Reports > June 3-5, 2017, Mount Daniels

June 3-5, 2017, Mount Daniels

6/3/17
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by DOD on 6/6/17 2:34am
Mt. Daniels is in great shape and yielded some great skiing over the last 3 days.

The access road out to Tucquala Meadows TH is currently a little challenging with a "much deeper than it looks" creek crossing at scatter creek and a nasty bog hole approximately half a mile past Fish Lake Guard station. Made it all the way in a Tundra with some tactical driving around the "big bog" I guess the big bog is about a mile or so out from the TH. Lower clearance vehicles will currently be challenged by the deep ford and the bog.

The switch back trail leading up to squaw lake is snow free until 4200ft with the exception of some low lying snow in the trees just past the bridge. Easy skinning along the ridge to Cathedral rock.

West side of Cathedral rock is currently 70% snow 30% trail, then all snow past the cathedral pass traverse to Peggys Pond. Straight forward skinning / booting from Peggy's pond to Mt Daniels summit.

Beautiful views and boundless skiing opportunities across the Daniels Massif. We had plans to journey out to Hinman but a relentless wind kept our camp and plans moderate. The wind kept the snow crispy corn flake-esk for the duration and had an excellent time skiing the East aspects, in more sheltered conditions, skiing back to camp each day for cocktails and debrief!

make america great! - build a wall?

view of Rainier from Daniels

view of Cathedral from camp

swirling marine cloud and wind!!!
inspirational motivation, and vice versa

Nice!  Love that zone.  And good beta on that bog on the road.  It almost got me once.

This is great beta, thanks.

Do you have any pictures of the bog? Or could you describe how bad it is? I have a small SUV (similar to a Subaru Crosstrek) and I'm wondering if I'll be able to get through it.

Also, on your return trip, did you just ski back to Peggy's Pond and then take the trail back, or did you find another way down?

No picture of the bog but I would suggest it was 4wd territory over an awd. Deep ruts all over with soft bottoms. Lots of axle banging, diff snagging and under belly cleaning/breaking opportunities. Lots of overflow from the creek.That will change when it dries out. Just lots and lots of water around. Makes the bottom of the big bog wet and soft....

Michael Schumacher could probably get a prius through it??

We just reversed our ascent for exit, with the exception of some boot assisted forest skiing fall line from squaw lake down in order to dodge a switch back or so...

A deep lake descent either or both ways looked very plausible.

I was also very curious about a north west style exit towards deception pass or via hyas lake, but probably shenanigans on the exit? Below 4200ft??

Reply to this TR

june-3-5-2017-mount-daniels
DOD
2017-06-06 09:34:14