telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/17, 01:41 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  June 3-4, 2017 Timberline
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 3-4, 2017 Timberline  (Read 1556 times)
Zap

June 3-4, 2017 Timberline
« on: 06/05/17, 10:41 PM »

This was the last weekend of using my Timberline Season Pass.  There is a summer pass that is expensive, really expensive – $900. It's cheaper to fly to Argentina and Chile and ski the Andes/Patagonia like we did for a two months a several years ago. OK, I had 2 days of different weather and different ski conditions.

June 3, Saturday: A warm day that started at 8am with skiing on perfect corn.  The terrain parks opened at 10am and it was worth arriving at the start. The terrain had been “salted” and there were big jumps with fun skiing around them, while looking over my shoulder to see if someone was flying over the jumps. All the groomed runs off Stormin' Norman and the Magic Mile were salted. The Palmer area is big and the sun made it nice and soft. This was the day for my fat skis. The area was full of Ski Patrollers from the West Coast areas on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for a “teaching event”.

June 4, Sunday: A system arrived overnight, and the day started overcast with a stiff wind. I used my regular skis with the sharp edges. It was a  groomer day at the start. The groomers were fast and the racing teams were happy.  But, I missed the softer terrain. OK, so I'm spoiled...   
DG

Re: June 3-4, 2017 Timberline
« Reply #1 on: 06/06/17, 09:59 AM »

I had the same idea - last day of the pass on Sunday (6+ months of skiing, 2 resorts - has to be one of the better season pass deals out there). I skied Palmer until near closing and then skinned up to the crater for one last long Mt. Hood run. Pleasantly surprised to find good corn snow all the way down to the lodge - including forays off Illumination Rock and into upper Zigzag canyon. There was enough sun exposure to make the smooth upper slopes ski well, but seemingly enough wind to also keep the lower part from getting sticky, pretty rare in my experience. Zigzag Glacier is in great shape for skiing right now.

* Hood060417.jpg (233.01 KB, 1000x563 - viewed 319 times.)
« Last Edit: 06/06/17, 10:45 AM by DG » Logged
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.