Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2017, Tatoosh Foss Peak

June 5, 2017, Tatoosh Foss Peak

6/5/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/5/17 12:25pm
I did this last monday and again this monday. Today was about as good as it gets. Skins on  from the reflection lake . Skied down south from Castle Saddle by 1030. Into 1500'+perfect corn.
Then upward traverse to Foss Peak. Lunch then more great corn down Sunbeam drainage. Lots of line options still
Short walk west to car then a cold one at RMI base camp grill. Thanks To partner Dave Sommerseth.

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDo8t-zCQw
Nice second day.  Are you becoming a local?  Can you take your gear on the motorcycle when the tourists arrive on the weekend. ;)

How was it skiing down the south side from the Castle? We were there on Sunday, and it looked pretty thin in spots/lots of glide avy activity.

We skied down directly south from Castle saddle 25 degree slopes which skied quite nice. No issues. We did not go up or down  on south face of Castle.  By all other indicators That face would have skied well with no issues. IMHO. Overall things have consolidated and corned up. Sunday night saw colder temps

Re motorcycle question.   I skied Silver Peak at snoqualomie today and the motorcycle woulda been a much easier and funner ride up that road to Ollalie Meadows . I do have a ski tote rig for it so maybe next time.

Reply to this TR

june-5-2017-tatoosh-foss-peak
Robie
2017-06-05 19:25:17