Home > Trip Reports > November 14, 2002, Chinook Pass to American Lake

November 14, 2002, Chinook Pass to American Lake

11/14/02
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jhamaker on 11/14/02 9:42pm
Still a 20" base. I stayed mostly on the PCT to preserve my bases. The skiing higher up looked good, but I wanted to take a look S.

Down at Denny Lk the snow-pack was thinner, but even under the trees there was a 2" skiable ice crust over most rocks and roots.

There are very few steep hills or swich-backs wich made this an exceptional tour.

---------------------------

I have a very small window for a few tours I want to do. If you are interested e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I'll check it tonight and on Mon.

I'm putting together an overnight trip Nov 23-24. Where we go
will be condition dependant. There is a chance you could come along
for just one day.

I skiied from Chinook Pass S to Americain Lk on the PCT and it got me
to thinking of some trips I've been wanting to do but where I always
miss the narrow window.

I have re-thought my stragegy The following trips can be done NOW
when there is both access by rd and (just) enough snow to make it
fun: Ski Chinook to White Pass (no avy danger now either), Sulfide
Gl on Shuksan, (Cooper Spur ski?), E side of Rainier (small access
issues), ski approach to SEWS (5.7?), Cascade Pass stuff. The window
is still short but should remain open for another 10 days or so.

My main thrust will be for the Chinook to White Pass ski, but let me
know what you are most interested in.

For those of you between contracts, I would also like to do something
Tue/Wed/Thur.

I just got out my maps and had a look at your route - great trip! What kind of gear did you use?

The Chinook to White Pass route looks very interesting. I'm wondering how many days you expect that to take if it can be done soon? It looks like American Lake is about 1/4 of the way to White Pass.

I'm also wondering about the Bumping River valley. It looks like the route would have to descend to about 4000' crossing the valley near Fish Lake, which probably means no snow right now. Would you be anticipating some hiking in that section?

JAmes ,Charles I'm plotting . That trip has always been in the back of my mind. I always thought about doing it in the spring and from White pass to Chinook or Crystal. I have a good friend who is on SKi Patrol at White pass and could give likely suspects a lift.

More comments:
I used something similar to the Karhu xcd-gt's.   Double cambered w/ fish scales.  I never needed my skins, the trail was very flat.  It took me 4 hrs to ski to Americain Lake (one quarter of the traverse distance)

The traverse Chinook to White is 27 mi on the PCT.  I think this could be done in 2 or 3 days, especialy if we get a party of 3 or more to break trail and use all of the available daylight.

White Pass *just* got some snow, I would do the traverse as soon as White Pass has a workable base of a foot or so.  This would probalby give us enough snow to ski down into low spots on the trail.   If the PCT remains visable and mostly flat, then this would be a good trip to do w/ a sled.  If Chinook gets closed before we leave, we can start from Cayuse Pass and only add an hour or so to our time.

Starting from Crystal Mtn would add a full day and significantly increase avalanche danger.

Thanks for the additional info. I can't get Saturdays for skiing right now, but that trip sounds great. Maybe need a bit more snow, or are you still aiming for this weekend? The web cam seems to show no snow at all at White Pass.

I can get next Tuesday (11/26) for skiing, if you still have that available. I'm hoping reports from this weekend will provide some good info on conditions. Also, I typically can get Friday, and often Wed. or Thurs. (not this coming Thanksgiving week, though).

Charles

Reply to this TR

november-14-2002-chinook-pass-to-american-lake
jhamaker
2002-11-15 05:42:59