Home > Trip Reports > 6/4/2017, Heather/Maple Passes above Rainy Pass

6/4/2017, Heather/Maple Passes above Rainy Pass

6/4/17
Posted by Jason4 on 6/5/17 12:57am
I got out yesterday with a large group to skin up to Maple Pass via Heather Pass from the trailhead at Rainy Pass.  Our first hope was to go to Cutthroat Pass but we realized that would be a lot of walking and not a lot of skiing shortly after parking the truck. 

We crossed back over the highway and set out to ski lines down to Lake Ann.  We were able to skin from the parking lot and followed the summer trail into the lake.  Some of our party skinned as much as possible, I chose to boot most of the way through the trees since the snow was supportive and travel was easy.  We skied a nice continuous line from a high point just below Maple Pass to a short traverse and then direct to the outflow of the lake. 

The crux of the day was jumping across the outflow to get back to the west side of the creek for the exit through the trees.  I skinned/split skied back to the steep part of the summer trail and then went back to a snowboard for the last of the exit from the trees to beer waiting in the cooler at the trailhead. 

Temps were comfortable with a light breeze at the ridgetops.  Snow was supportive corn and made for mostly supportive skin tracks.  There were a few moats to hop and holes to cross but nothing too adventurous.

The snow is good, get out there!
We attempted the Rainy Lake and Lake Ann loop June 4. When we got to Rainy Lake we were surprised to see it was a mix of slush and water. After looking around we were able to ski around the SE side of the lake but had to walk about half way up the gully at the SW corner of the lake before being able to start skiing. This all took time and we ended up shortening our plans by climbing west up to the ridge above Lake Ann and skiing down to Lake Ann by the same route as Jason4's party.

Reply to this TR

6-4-2017-heather-maple-passes-above-rainy-pass
Jason4
2017-06-05 07:57:46