Home > Forum > Dog eye protection

Dog eye protection

• breadeater
  • [breadeater]
More
03 Jun 2017 15:17 #229703 by breadeater
Dog eye protection was created by breadeater
Do you take your dog spring skiing?
If so, do you provide it with any eye protection?
If yes, please relate product experience.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
03 Jun 2017 17:04 #229704 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Dog eye protection
I tried using "doggles" on my fur ball a few years ago in the Teanaway. She wasn't having it. She found a tree and managed to dislodge them within 10 minutes. YMMV

• ccwaskier
  • [ccwaskier]
More
05 Jun 2017 12:18 #229709 by ccwaskier
Replied by ccwaskier on topic Re: Dog eye protection
Check out Rex Specs...

www.rexspecs.com/

I have not used them, but have heard good things and hear the company is doing really well with lots of military/law enforcement orders.

More
05 Jun 2017 18:33 - 05 Jun 2017 18:47 #229710 by river59
Replied by river59 on topic Re: Dog eye protection
I think the general consensus is that they are unnecessary unless you are shooting for a fashion statement.

They will not stay on long. Dogs are apparently not susceptible to snow blindness for a variety of reasons - eye location, brow shading, facial coloration. Dogs don't live long enough to develop cataracts related to UV exposure.

My dog is 12 and she has been up shredding the volcanoes year-round for 10 years now. She probably gets 50 - 100 days/year at elevation and has never had a problem with sun exposure.

Guessing that this is a new dog to you, I would say heat stress should be your real concern. Watch that water intake and let them rest when they need it. Let em rest after feeding/watering -- vomiting and bloat.

More
06 Jun 2017 09:51 #229725 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Dog eye protection
I tried the doggles too out of the same concern. My dog wouldn't have any of it, so I quickly conceded. After many years of active duty in spring snow, my dog is retired now to his daily neighborhood walks. Going on 14 years of age, his hearing isn't what it used to be but his sight seems fine.