Home > Trip Reports > June 2, 2017, Big Chief Bowl

June 2, 2017, Big Chief Bowl

6/2/17
Posted by Zap on 6/2/17 12:06pm
It was quiet at Stevens Pass, really quiet. I started climbing at the Pacific Crest Lodge.
I began climbing with my crampons on. The slope is steep and there was no traffic or trail breakers. The crampons I use are the Voiles that attach between the toe and heel and do not raise with each set. I know about speed and it's not part of my plan; I don't want to slide backward with some steps. I've got time and it's not a powder day. I skinned on the climbers' left side of the trail  close to the trees and shrubs. The slope is in good shape with no moguls. When you reach the halfway point you get a nice view of the area's snow coverage. The Double Diamond trail had good coverage. I  skinned up towards the treed chutes at  Big Chief Bowl.  As you near the run off from the Kehr's chair the terrain is fantastic with great coverage and no ski/board tracks. I stopped where the snow was diminishing in the chutes. The slope was very steep, and I found a spot by a tree to remove the crampons and skins and plan my first turn. I  had wonderful ride with easy access top to bottom, and it was so quiet.  ;)

Reply to this TR

june-2-2017-big-chief-bowl
Zap
2017-06-02 19:06:23