Home > Trip Reports > Bullion Basin Crystal Backcountry 1/21/06

Bullion Basin Crystal Backcountry 1/21/06

1/21/06
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Richard_Korry on 1/21/06 6:57am
Chris and I got the late start today rolling in to parking lot B at 9:30am. We headed up the Bullion trail finding a well tracked hiway. A very large group was doing transceiver practice in 3-4 different spots which was fine with us. Thanks for the great track in! We eventually got onto the ridge and ran into some old friends from the pre-kids days...  We dropped in for 3 outstanding powder runs down to Morse Creek. The snow was very stable with only surface sluffs even on the very steepest slopes and rolls. No natural aval activity was seen. We went over to East Peak (the one with the cross on it) and then traversed north to take a fine line down to the trail. The last 300-500 ft. had 2-3" of powder over crust and debris - the only snow that wasn't great of the day.
Thanks for the report.  We were up there on Saturday as well.  We were the group of five (Rob, Chris, Liz, Alex, and me; 3 on AT & 2 splitboarders).  It was an epic (but busy!) day, with lots of people out enjoying the powder and laying down some very nice lines.  We lapped the east facing slope off the ridge towards Union Creek.  Whoever set the skin track, thanks:)!  We owe you a beer.  The snow was stable, with only v. minor sloughing.  There was even a sun break.  We were all very happy campers when we got back to the parking lot around 3:15.    

Oh yea, thanks to Chris for pulling me out of a tree well.  

Here are some pictures:

Rob loving it

Alex & Chris coming in for a landing

Liz dropping in

Alex in the deep

Chris in the sun!

It was nice up there today... lots of tracks, but also lots of good snow.  The sun was out all day, so south aspects now have a crust.
The wind was fierce on the ridgetops - lots of windloading going on, but just below the ridgetops it was calm.

We'll take a rain-check on that beer!   We were in there first on Saturday morning.  Didn't see anyone for about an hour.  That was a special hour.  No noise, light snow, filtered sun, visibility breaks, and a thick carpet of stable fresh with no underlying crust (on north through east aspects).  When things got busy we went over to Cement Basin to find a large party putting in a nice up track - cheers to them - felt like instant Karma.  Amazing snow in Cement too.  Before the last run to the lot, while on top of the ridge above Cement, our shadows were visited by the legendary "Sun-Dog".  Here's a look...what a day...

That looks like the Brocken Spectre, not a sun dog.  Very cool!

Yup, you're right.  From:

http://www.sundog.clara.co.uk/droplets/globrock.htm

"As the mountaineer reaches a high ridge, a ghostly figure towers out from the mist, its head sheathed in shimmering rings. This at one time unnerving apparition is the "Spectre of the Brocken", so named because of sightings on the Brocken, the highest peak of Germany's Harz Mountains."

A Sundog is a different phenomenom.  Thanks for the info.  The site above has some wonderful pictures of this effect.

Thanks for breaking the trail on Saturday ajjenkin.  That was much appreciated.  Assuming of course, that was your group with the wolf and a gal whose name, which I will butcher if I tryed to pronounce it, started with an "M".

Btw I didn't know that secret stashes still existed at Crystal, being the mountain of a thousand locals.  If anything I'd call it excellent hill management. 8)

No wolf, no gal, just me and my neighbor Timmy and his Volki's (aka Union Creek trailbusters).  Me:  "I don't know Timmy, looks a bit sketchy.  I'll keep an eye on you though."  Timmy: "Ok."  Timmy breaks, I follow, repeat pattern...I cook Timmy dinner later that night.

These areas certainly are not secrets, but from 7 to 8 am it was just us, two guys heading off in a different direction, and the birds.  Wonderful.

Yes, last Saturday was yet another great day in Washington's winter-wonderland! We cut the track up to east peak and skied west facing powder from the ridge back into B.Basin the entire day. Sunbreaks and calm winds, with fairy-dust sparkling against dark clouds filled the heart and soul with beauty.

Note: Ajjenkin broke trail to Union Creek, which is in an entirely different basin.

The large number of people in B.Basin last Saturday was distasteful and disturbing. After a few runs near our up track we moved our party out of the fray in order to find that "backcountry feeling" somewhere less crowded. Thank you Snoslut for keeping the stash secret! "Keep it secret! Keep it safe!"

Good times were had by all, including Alice, the wolf dog!

M

Distasteful and disturbing?  I'm always appreciative that everyone crowds in Bullion.  That way you only have to cross one ridge to become solitary.  Sonya and I spent Sunday lapping lines off the adjacent peaks with no one else in sight.  I've always figured the folks in Bullion Basin were looking for a "social backcountry experience" since the solitary "backcountry feeling" is so darn easy to get in the area - even on a sunny weekend. ;D

Anywho, good weekend - it should be good this weekend as well.

Reply to this TR

bullion-basin-crystal-backcountry-1-21-06
Richard_Korry
2006-01-21 14:57:23