Home > Trip Reports > May 26, 2017, Mt Hood, Newton Clark

May 26, 2017, Mt Hood, Newton Clark

5/26/17
OR Mt Hood
Posted by harg on 5/30/17 6:31am
Made a quick trip up to ski newton clark headwall last friday. started at t-line and crossed white river just above the top of palmer. crossing was about as reasonable as i've had it in recent years; the solid coverage meant relatively few cracks and minimal rock fall (so far). After gaining the ridge, I hugged the rocks and rime on the west side of wy-east to avoid the open face and potential for knee deep post-holing, which i'm not super into. as others have noted, wy'east had a lot of avy debris, but still had plenty of room for turns, especially the farther east you headed. got to the top of newton clark around 11am and after a quick PB&H, clicked in and peered over the edge. it's a beautiful line and steeper than i remembered. about 1/4 way into the first turn I realized it was as good as it gets, or at least as good as i've gotten it. perfect corn that accommodated anything you wanted to do, and everything my legs had in em. there were rutted sections in the lower half, but still plenty of smooth alleys in between them to rip off turns. sluff was significant, so it may not have too much longer before rutts get pretty big and closer to the top of the line.
Good one!! Heard that is an awesome shot...Sylvain s had grat thing to say about it!!

Btw..any idea how runneled leotholds c is..
onlly time i did it pretty much a non issue...just a tad at the dog leg.

i don't know. leuthold was actually plan A for me on that day, but i switched last minute because I thought it would need more time to soften than my window allowed. given what i saw on south and east facing stuff, i'd be surprised if it wasn't in really good shape tho.

Reply to this TR

may-26-2017-mt-hood-newton-clark
harg
2017-05-30 13:31:04