telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/21/17, 11:40 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2017 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2017 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 28, 2017, Steamboat Prow
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 28, 2017, Steamboat Prow  (Read 1734 times)
jakedouglas

May 28, 2017, Steamboat Prow
« on: 05/28/17, 08:45 PM »

Don't be suckered by the amount of snow in the parking lot like myself and many others this weekend. Snow is discontinuous for over 2 miles and trail runners are the correct approach tool. I made it out without any carnage but I suspect a number of people ended up with hamburger feet.

I crossed the river barefoot on the way in, but this is not necessary and you should be able to follow various cattle tracks now that stay climbers right in the trees away from the river and end up in Glacier Basin without getting your feet wet. Luge track on the way out worked pretty well too.

Plenty of wet slide evidence but much snow has already been shed and I was not particularly concerned with anything reaching the skin track up the center of the basin. One substantial new slide came down by the time I headed down around 2pm on the south side of the basin and it stopped well above the common skinning path.

While climbing the Interglacier I was passed by Andy and Jason Dorais working hard to descend on skimo race gear, who went on to set a new FKT for Liberty Ridge with an Emmons descent of 7:07 car-to-car (!!!!!!!!!!!!). I later had the pleasure of meeting my ski heroes and their friends (who also did the same route in a single push, albeit a bit slower) in the parking lot.

Plenty of climbers and skiers on the Emmons, as well as numerous helicopter passes including what looked like flying someone off of the summit and lots of buzzing around the eastern side of Curtis ridge above the Winthrop. Not sure what they were doing there.

Top ~1k skied pretty well and the rest was just a lot of work. 1 foot pole penetration was not uncommon and I just had to lock my quads and make very long traverses. Other people appeared to be struggling as well. I skied over a couple small cracks that were starting to open up, so keep your eyes peeled.

There was also a very brazen bear close to the trail on the way out. I was alone when I came upon it so I waited for the couple behind me to catch up, who then wanted to take pictures, and more people showed up. A group of about 8 of us proceeded loudly and it did not seem very perturbed.
sprice

Re: May 28, 2017, Steamboat Prow
« Reply #1 on: 05/28/17, 10:46 PM »

flying machine for skier injured by crevasse fall

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/injured-climber-plucked-from-crevasse-on-emmons-glacier/
jakedouglas

« Reply #2 on: 05/29/17, 08:25 AM »

This may have been one of the helicopter trips I saw, but the article says that accident occurred at 12.3k and I'm nearly certain that I saw them haul someone from the summit area.
vogtski

« Reply #3 on: 05/29/17, 10:52 AM »

This may have been one of the helicopter trips I saw, but the article says that accident occurred at 12.3k and I'm nearly certain that I saw them haul someone from the summit area.
My guess is that some of the rescuers climbed back to the summit while the victim was flown to the hospital and were extracted (and inserted) there because of the safer LZ

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
jakedouglas

« Reply #4 on: 05/29/17, 12:23 PM »

That would make sense. Someone else told me that they had earlier seen what looked like a litter hanging from the line, but at that point none of us had a vantage point to see where it had come from. What I saw later looked like a person with no litter.
cchapin

« Reply #5 on: 05/29/17, 01:58 PM »

We did Emmons this weekend. Here's the timeline of the rescue:

Saturday night, after various flybys, 2 park rangers were dropped off at the Winthrop saddle then descended to the accident site.

Sunday morning, around 9-10am, a 3rd ranger was dropped off at the accident site via short haul.

2nd flight, ranger and victim were short hauled out.

3rd flight, gear was short hauled out.

4th flight, the 2 park rangers were short hauled out and dropped off at Camp Schurman. We talked to one later in the day after returning from the summit.

We had front row seats for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th flights, and will post photos later.
« Last Edit: 05/29/17, 04:31 PM by cchapin » Logged
sprice

« Reply #6 on: 05/29/17, 06:52 PM »

So back to the 7:07 time. (!) What is the vertical total, since you drop down to the start of liberty ridge?

d
Splitboardist
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 05/30/17, 11:01 AM »

So back to the 7:07 time. (!) What is the vertical total, since you drop down to the start of liberty ridge?

Total vert gained 11,222 over 21 miles according to GPS
sprice

« Reply #8 on: 05/30/17, 03:06 PM »

Wow
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.