Home > Trip Reports > May 19, 2017, - Cascade Pass resupply

May 19, 2017, - Cascade Pass resupply

5/19/17
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 5/22/17 3:13am

Lowell, Forest, Trevor and Emily at Cascade Pass.

On Friday, I helped Emily Larson carry food and fuel to Cascade Pass to support Forest McBrian and Trevor Kostanich (Emily's husband) in their attempt to ski the length of the North Cascades in a single push.

Forest and Trevor left Snoqualmie Pass on May 1 and they've been moving steadily northward since then, encountering a variety of weather and snow conditions. "Moisture management" is a continuing challenge, but it seems that they've been dealing with it well. Their itinerary is planned to allow for fairly moderate days, so they can rest and adapt to weather and snow delays.

Emily climbs toward Cascade Pass beneath The Triplets and Cascade Peak.

Arriving at the Eldorado Creek parking area, we encountered two ski parties headed for the Isolation Traverse. There was also a party of Mountaineers (on foot) leaving for a weekend climb of Eldorado Peak. Our wet winter and spring has created pent-up demand to get out in the mountains.

Mt Johannesburg from the Cascade River valley.

Temperatures were moderate during our trip and travel by ski to Cascade Pass was pretty good. There's been plenty of slide activity in the upper Cascade River valley, but we found a travel corridor that hadn't been active recently. Skiing during the descent was better than expected. A little soft, but not grabby or unpredictable.

Wishing fun and safe travel for Forest and Trevor as they continue their adventure!

A very snowy Forbidden Peak.

We were pretty sure that these were their faint down-tracks coming through Cache Col.  It's not clear how the skiers negotiated the cornice.

Very best wishes for a safe and successful journey. Looking forward to the tale.

Wow, this is the first that I've heard of Forest and Trevor's current mission. Incredible. Nice job helping out with the resupply Lowell, and thanks for sharing here. I know those two will be needing all the food and calories they can get their hands on!

I hope they continue to have a safe and fun adventure! I can't wait to hear wait to hear more news and details about their trip in the coming weeks.

inspiring mission fellas!  best of luck for a pleasant finish.

also, cool photo Charlie--interesting optical illusion re: Formidable's proximity to Cache Col; if only they were that close...

Reply to this TR

may-19-2017-cascade-pass-resupply
Lowell_Skoog
2017-05-22 10:13:23