Home > Trip Reports > May 21, 2017, Mt. Stuart, Ulrich Couloir

May 21, 2017, Mt. Stuart, Ulrich Couloir

5/21/17
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Shred on 5/22/17 12:24am
Pete A. pretty much summed up the approach conditions, from his Cascadian TR. Just wanted to share some Beta for Ulrichs, because it was pretty much prime yesterday.

Skied off of the summit at 1:00. There was a little concern of some hidden slab potential, as there were a few natural releases that had occurred on the summit face, most likely the day prior. Booting up to the summit, pole probes indicated that the snow was good to go, on the skier left of the face.
Fast running sluff, but easy to manage.
There is a pretty good runnel at the dogleg, but can easily be navigated around. We skied down to the waterfall terminus, for desperately needed water, and boot packed back up a few hundred VF to the skiers right exit. where a fun, short gully drops you out on to the fan.
Was able to ski all the way to Ingalls Creek.
Snow was pretty much good top to bottom.
Go get it!
I will try and get a little viddy up later.
how narrow was it exiting the dogleg above the waterfall? - given the view from Longs Pass i would've have expected it to go.  nicely done :) 

author=Pete A link=topic=38514.msg155900#msg155900 date=1495468310]
how narrow was it exiting the dogleg above the waterfall? - given the view from Longs Pass i would've have expected it to go.  nicely done :) 

Pete, the exit out of the dogleg was about 25' wide or so, with the runnel splitting the middle.

Nice! Looking forward to the vid. 

Think I ran into your party on my way up to longs last night.  For anyone who's interested here's a shot of Stuart with Ulrichs (condition) clearly visible.  This was taken last night (5/21) around 8pm.  Surely more melting is taking place by the second... PM me if you want a hi res version.

A little more POV than I like, but there was to much skiing to be had :D
https://vimeo.com/218675042

Nice video.  It looks like one of your party may have left their french press at longs pass (I see it in the first second of the vid next to the red pack). I brought it down with me if the owner wants it back...PM me.

goleary, We did this as a day trip, so wasn't ours. There were two gentleman that camped at Longs Pass that night, that were headed to Fortune. I believe that was their stuff stashed.
Good luck. Hope you find the owners.

avajane - Thanks!

Shred - gotcha, thought I'd solved the mystery when I saw your vid.

Sweet vid!  Way to shred that sucker.

Great work, nailed it!

Nice video!  I was in the group of 3 that met you up at the false summit, and again back at the cars (thanks again for the watermelon, it hit the spot on a hot afternoon).

Here's a different view :-)

https://vimeo.com/218798345

Great edit! Really captures how fun (and not scary) that line is in good conditions. And, the shots from Longs Pass are a great touch.

Reply to this TR

may-21-2017-mt-stuart-ulrich-couloir
Shred
2017-05-22 07:24:01