Home > Forum > Boot pain tips

Boot pain tips

• bfree
  • [bfree]
More
15 May 2017 09:25 #229659 by bfree
Boot pain tips was created by bfree
Ok all - here is your chance to rain down free tips and advice on a newbie.  I went out this weekend for a backcountry trip and had an awesome time.  However, once we got down out of the snow and were hiking back through the brush/woods to the car, I experienced some of the most painful "hiking" I've experienced.  I was hiking out in my ski boots and it was just painful.  I had them loosened and in "walk" mode, but it every step just hurt my feet.  I don't think my boots are that poor fitting, and maybe this is just an unspoken about issue that everyone deals with.  Any thoughts/tips/advice?  Or does everyone go through this?  thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toddball
  • [toddball]
More
15 May 2017 09:44 #229660 by toddball
Replied by toddball on topic Re: Boot pain tips
Where did your feet hurt?

More
15 May 2017 11:25 #229661 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: Boot pain tips
I would say...repeat the process but walk out in running shoes...and see if the pain is the same. If the pain is the same...then it is your feet. Otherwise, it is the boots. Just narrowing it down. But maybe you already thought of that....and given the choice...1lb on your back is equal to 5lbs on your feet...so it is always easier to carry boots and walk in running shoes for energy efficiency.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
15 May 2017 12:09 #229664 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Boot pain tips
Yeah -- hike on dirt in trail runners...

but what part of your feet hurt?

I recall my first pair of AT boots -- which I got used and cheap -- but ended up being a 1/2 size too large -- my toes would get beat up -- because the sides of the boot didn't grip my feet tightly enough to keep my foot from sliding forward and my toes smashing into the end of the boot.

More
15 May 2017 12:57 #229665 by Scottk
Replied by Scottk on topic Re: Boot pain tips
Sometimes it helps to actually keep the boots moderately tight to keep your foot from moving around. Also, experiment with different sock thicknesses. I have a 3 year old pair of boots that are usually pretty comfortable but occasionally I wear a slightly thicker pair of socks and experience more foot pain. I seem to have to re-learn this lesson about once every six months.

My best advise is to bring running shoes for hiking out. Anything more than a mile or so and I wear running shoes. Happy feet are key!

• bfree
  • [bfree]
More
16 May 2017 11:57 #229669 by bfree
Replied by bfree on topic Re: Boot pain tips
Thanks all for your thoughts! The "pain" was in the ball of my foot and I think was a result the hard plastic sole/little cushioning of my ski boots. I think it's probably best to just bring a pair of old runners with me next time. It was just a classic problem of hiking through the woods on a mostly snow base but dirt/brush mixed in. I haven't hiked/climbed in plastic boots in while (my climbing boots are leather) so it may be that as well.

More
17 May 2017 07:59 #229671 by Griff
Replied by Griff on topic Re: Boot pain tips
Uhhhhhh.........boots hurt. LOL.

Pain is unique to most people's individual anatomy, so I am not a fan of the answers everyone comes up with. That said, the earlier thread on Mortons seemed to produce some good info.

So absent of good advice. will just share the funny story of the 1st At boots me and my #1 partner bought in 1985. They were Koflach with a pathetic tour/ski mode set up that was simply a plastic part that would be out if walking and in if skiing. It had a mind of it's own.

Yet funnier, was our nickname for the boots.........the pain machines.

• frank
  • [El Destructor]
More
17 May 2017 12:20 - 17 May 2017 12:27 #229672 by frank
Replied by frank on topic Re: Boot pain tips
Boots can be a challenge to dial in.. If you don't have a perfectly flat, narrow foot that is free of bony protrusions then you'll likely need to do a couple rounds of work on them. Actually, even with a perfect foot, some adjustment with fore and aft height can make a world of difference.

I, unfortunately, have to modify my boots so heavily that they barely resemble the original product.  With that, I have had many sessions with various boot fitters in WA, CO and UT.  The most highly skilled boot fitter I've found is Jim, at 'custom boot service' in seattle.  I recommend letting him figure out what your boot issues are, and providing the fix.  It's worth it to go to the best.