Home > Trip Reports > May 7-8, 2017, Mt. Rainier, Muir-Bridge

May 7-8, 2017, Mt. Rainier, Muir-Bridge

5/7/17
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JimD on 5/8/17 11:29pm
I'm surprised with the hordes of skiers, snowshoers, and cramponed climbers (with helmets) I saw on the snowfield that no one has posted yet - a sad commentary on the decline of TAY.

The snowfield has consolidated quite nicely, which was perfect for a nitwit who forgot their skins - booting seemed about as fast in any event (not icy - no spikes needed).

First 1500 ft. from Muir is getting a bit wind bumped, but still pretty good. Smoothed off below that. A number of people had skied the Nisqually Chute before me, but the firm base was smoothed even better by their turns - like cruising a groomer! I followed the fall line down the glacier below the chute which was easy cruising until the next big drop which was the best part of the day - perfect smooth creamed corn. Snow got a bit sticky when it flattened out, but I still managed to ski all the way to the last uphill to the bridge without skating or poling - wax yer skis.

Warmer on the 8th with less wind. Only a couple of other folks hiking up that I saw, and no one skiing when I was. I dropped into the chute earlier but found the snow softer and even better carving - most fun I've ever had there. I'm normally a more turns are better  guy but I reveled in big swoops all the way down.

I was a bit worried about hitching with less traffic on Monday but I lucked out in 5 min. getting a ride from an older couple from Louisiana in a pick-up.

Friends who skied the Tatoosh on Sunday also said the snow was great - nicely firmed up and great corn.
Kinda swapping destinations, you were on Rainier and I was on Sloan Sunday.  Are you on a corn harvest trip?  I haven skied any corn yet, just late powder snow.

Reply to this TR

may-7-8-2017-mt-rainier-muir-bridge
JimD
2017-05-09 06:29:44