Home > Trip Reports > May 7, 2017, Hanging Glacier, Shuksan

May 7, 2017, Hanging Glacier, Shuksan

5/7/17
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by hallc24 on 5/8/17 11:03am
Saw the post by Slien earlier and since people seem to be interested about current conditions on Shuksan I decided to add what we found (nice meeting you guys by the way). Our party climbed the White Salmon and found great snow starting around 4500 feet. From there on up it was typically 6 inches of light fluff on top of condensed snow. There was a bit of very firm snow at the top of Winnies and a few other places.

Entering the HG was a bit icy, but shortly after we were rewarded with creamy pow on the glacier proper - unfortunately the conditions were not as spectacular on the rest of the route. From the flats we skied the steep slope down to the small bench directly across from the hanging portion of the glacier. We opted for the skiers right exit (didn't even look left). After the flats, the slope down to the exit, and the following apron below the HG, all skied similarly. We had 3-4 inches of fluff on top of a hard crust. The crust was firm to icy, but supportive and still edgeable. All in all the route is fat and still in great shape! Looking up from below, the NWC looked far more runneled, as Arb mentioned, and you can see the large crack as well - definitely looks like a navigational challenge. Sounds like the snow on each route has some similarities, but differences too. Crazy how conditions are so different between the NWC, HG and White Salmon currently.

As mentioned the trek out of the drainage is thin down low. Sorry for the adventurous skin track/boot pack. After a number of trips out of it over the years I am convinced there is no "optimal route". I think it is a pick your poison sort of decision!

appreciate the info and images!

Reply to this TR

may-7-2017-hanging-glacier-shuksan
hallc24
2017-05-08 18:03:06