Home > Trip Reports > May 1, 2017, Glove Rock, Sentinel Bowl

May 1, 2017, Glove Rock, Sentinel Bowl

5/1/17
Posted by Zap on 5/3/17 1:22pm
Now, Glove Rock is a special place for Kirkwood followers. We have skied this place for years, and by riding the Cornice Express it was easy to get there. Today was also easy with skins (the ski area was closed for the season). For years we used to park in the Timber Creek parking lot overnight; the Vail purchase changed that! Today we parked there to start skiing and  asked a Security officer if we could climb and ski in the area, and he said €œsure€. And we noticed that the signs now say that you can park overnight as long as you park in the middle of the lot and not next to the snow banks. Good!

It was a sunny CA day with an overnight freeze. We didn't start until mid-afternoon, but the snow seemed okay. I saw two locals descending, and I asked them €œhow was the surface?€.  Their reply was €œfantastic€. It was a slow climb (Jill was sucking air!), but we moved  through the trees where it was shade protected. We got about halfway to the top; it was a great view and we had it to ourselves. This was Jill's first day on skins and it was a 'smile' run. It does not have to be a long run to start the smiles.  We  got to the van, and I realized that Jill's boots needed some help. We are getting hooked on the CA sun. We are now heading to Grover Hot Springs near Markleeville for a good, long soak.
Love the Sierra posts, Kirkwood is a gem of a spot for skiing. Hope you had a nice soak too. Not sure which way you're headed but Genoa is a neat spot to stroll and grab coffee if you're heading north and aren't in a hurry to get onto 395.

author=natefred link=topic=38422.msg155637#msg155637 date=1494027881]
Love the Sierra posts, Kirkwood is a gem of a spot for skiing. Hope you had a nice soak too. Not sure which way you're headed but Genoa is a neat spot to stroll and grab coffee if you're heading north and aren't in a hurry to get onto 395.

We will spend sometime at Genoa next season. We have Epic Local pass for next season . Kirkwood and Heavenly plus Northstar.:)

I used to ski the Sierras when young but never Backcountry. This epic year, I would like to get down there and do something! What do you think about something like Sugarbowl to Squaw Valley? Still snow for a while? Or Desolation Wilderness. I've hiked all that years ago in the summer. Also thinking about the Southern Sierra near Mammoth. You know any of this stuff?

Yes would expect Sugarbowl to Squaw to be in. Good day trip with spring conditions, although maybe a bit long with the resort closed and no lift ride up Lincoln Mt, or do it in a few days and spend some time lapping runs off the ridges when you see something interesting. Head further south for bigger peaks and remote feel (more than a feeling?), things get more interesting from Carson Pass south.

Lots of high passes to choose from, Carson, Sonora, Tioga. Access at Tioga pass can be quite good once the road is open up to Ellory Bowl, couloir skiing to suit all appetites (par for the course all of these places). You've probably heard about the food at the Mobil in Lee Vining, I assume it's still quite good. Good guide books out there, someone posted a Sierra report with a guide book they liked that I'm not familiar with. I've got the Moynier Falcon Guide, it's pretty good. I'd call the Backcountry in Truckee (not sure if the touring shop in Tahoe City is still there) and Mammoth Mountaineering for conditions & recommendations.

author=avajane link=topic=38422.msg155663#msg155663 date=1494211209]
I used to ski the Sierras when young but never Backcountry. This epic year, I would like to get down there and do something! What do you think about something like Sugarbowl to Squaw Valley? Still snow for a while? Or Desolation Wilderness. I've hiked all that years ago in the summer. Also thinking about the Southern Sierra near Mammoth. You know any of this stuff?

I couple of sites for the trips:

http://thebackcountry.net/tahoe-backcountry-adventures/

https://www.wolverinepublishing.com/store/backcountry-skiing-eastern-sierra/

I have used these sites for years.

Reply to this TR

may-1-2017-glove-rock-sentinel-bowl
Zap
2017-05-03 20:22:18