telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/20/17, 03:08 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2017 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2017 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 1, 2017 Glove Rock, Sentinel Bowl
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 1, 2017 Glove Rock, Sentinel Bowl  (Read 2454 times)
Zap

May 1, 2017 Glove Rock, Sentinel Bowl
« on: 05/03/17, 09:22 PM »

Now, Glove Rock is a special place for Kirkwood followers. We have skied this place for years, and by riding the Cornice Express it was easy to get there. Today was also easy with skins (the ski area was closed for the season). For years we used to park in the Timber Creek parking lot overnight; the Vail purchase changed that! Today we parked there to start skiing and  asked a Security officer if we could climb and ski in the area, and he said “sure”. And we noticed that the signs now say that you can park overnight as long as you park in the middle of the lot and not next to the snow banks. Good!

It was a sunny CA day with an overnight freeze. We didn't start until mid-afternoon, but the snow seemed okay. I saw two locals descending, and I asked them “how was the surface?”.  Their reply was “fantastic”. It was a slow climb (Jill was sucking air!), but we moved  through the trees where it was shade protected. We got about halfway to the top; it was a great view and we had it to ourselves. This was Jill's first day on skins and it was a 'smile' run. It does not have to be a long run to start the smiles.  We  got to the van, and I realized that Jill's boots needed some help. We are getting hooked on the CA sun. We are now heading to Grover Hot Springs near Markleeville for a good, long soak.
natefred

Re: May 1, 2017 Glove Rock, Sentinel Bowl
« Reply #1 on: 05/05/17, 04:44 PM »

Love the Sierra posts, Kirkwood is a gem of a spot for skiing. Hope you had a nice soak too. Not sure which way you're headed but Genoa is a neat spot to stroll and grab coffee if you're heading north and aren't in a hurry to get onto 395.
Zap

« Reply #2 on: 05/06/17, 09:34 PM »

Love the Sierra posts, Kirkwood is a gem of a spot for skiing. Hope you had a nice soak too. Not sure which way you're headed but Genoa is a neat spot to stroll and grab coffee if you're heading north and aren't in a hurry to get onto 395.
We will spend sometime at Genoa next season. We have Epic Local pass for next season . Kirkwood and Heavenly plus Northstar.Smiley
avajane

« Reply #3 on: 05/07/17, 07:40 PM »

I used to ski the Sierras when young but never Backcountry. This epic year, I would like to get down there and do something! What do you think about something like Sugarbowl to Squaw Valley? Still snow for a while? Or Desolation Wilderness. I've hiked all that years ago in the summer. Also thinking about the Southern Sierra near Mammoth. You know any of this stuff?

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
natefred

« Reply #4 on: 05/08/17, 10:28 AM »

Yes would expect Sugarbowl to Squaw to be in. Good day trip with spring conditions, although maybe a bit long with the resort closed and no lift ride up Lincoln Mt, or do it in a few days and spend some time lapping runs off the ridges when you see something interesting. Head further south for bigger peaks and remote feel (more than a feeling?), things get more interesting from Carson Pass south.

Lots of high passes to choose from, Carson, Sonora, Tioga. Access at Tioga pass can be quite good once the road is open up to Ellory Bowl, couloir skiing to suit all appetites (par for the course all of these places). You've probably heard about the food at the Mobil in Lee Vining, I assume it's still quite good. Good guide books out there, someone posted a Sierra report with a guide book they liked that I'm not familiar with. I've got the Moynier Falcon Guide, it's pretty good. I'd call the Backcountry in Truckee (not sure if the touring shop in Tahoe City is still there) and Mammoth Mountaineering for conditions & recommendations.
Zap

« Reply #5 on: 05/09/17, 11:59 AM »

I used to ski the Sierras when young but never Backcountry. This epic year, I would like to get down there and do something! What do you think about something like Sugarbowl to Squaw Valley? Still snow for a while? Or Desolation Wilderness. I've hiked all that years ago in the summer. Also thinking about the Southern Sierra near Mammoth. You know any of this stuff?

I couple of sites for the trips:

http://thebackcountry.net/tahoe-backcountry-adventures/

https://www.wolverinepublishing.com/store/backcountry-skiing-eastern-sierra/

I have used these sites for years.
avajane

« Reply #6 on: 05/12/17, 08:47 AM »

Thanks

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.